Cheapest way to cat an 01 Cobra

gateguard1

Established Member
I'm a little new to exhaust systems on these cars and I'm looking to cat my 2001 Cobra. Right now it's running stock manifolds, and offroad x pipe of some sort, and then some Flowmasters I believe. My roommate keeps complaining about about how stinky the uncatted car is and how it fills the garage (which is a valid complaint), but more importantly for me I want the car to be much quieter. I've never been a loud car kinda owner, I prefer a more tame and tasteful exhaust, and right now its current setup is pure "piss off your neighbors" type of noise. The exhaust shop said the best thing to do first is to Cat the car back up. My question is what is the easiest/cheapest way to do this? Not many used options around me, so I don't mind buying a new x/h pipe with cats, but many options are near $1or2k. I've noticed the BBK catted X-pipe, but it's a bit more costly and I read you have to extend your O2 sensors? Rockauto has the AP / Eastern catted H-pipe, which has a decent price, but the info is pretty limited. Would it be entirely bolt in? Anyone have any other options. My absolute limit is $1000 to get it catted, but the cheaper the better as long as it's still something that's a bolt in job I can do on the garage floor. Thanks y'all

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
1. Get a new roommate.
2. You could buy some cheap cats on RockAuto that have some pipe extensions on either side and cut/clamp it in.
3. If this were my car and my situation, I would probably just have an exhaust shop weld in cats. I bet it will be less then $1k for them to do that.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd look at some of the local mustang groups and find someone that wants to trade their stock mid pipe for your O/R mid pipe. I bet you'd get some takers

01yellercobra

Established Member
As mentioned talk to the exhaust shop. A pair of high flow cats will make a noticeable difference in the noise level. Worse comes to worse you can order them from some place like Summit or Jegs and then find someone to install them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As mentioned talk to the exhaust shop. A pair of high flow cats will make a noticeable difference in the noise level. Worse comes to worse you can order them from some place like Summit or Jegs and then find someone to install them.
This is what I'd do if it were me. Finding someone local who might be agreeable to a trade is a long shot possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread