Cheapest engine to get 600-700 rwhp out of

Which engine is the cheapest for getting 600-700rwhp out of?

• 4.6 DOHC

Votes: 55 29.6%
  • 302-based (i.e. 347)

Votes: 46 24.7%
  • 351W-based (i.e. 408)

Votes: 85 45.7%

• Total voters

95sn95

Blue Devil!
Established Member
What's the cheapest engine to get 600-700 rwhp out of? I've always heard that the modulars are more expensive to build up, but it really starts adding up on a 302 if you need a Dart block.

Whattaya think?

CATMACH

Crazy
Established Member
A firey moat with flame proof aligators, IN
I would say 351 based stroker, I know you can get close to that with a pretty simple high compression n/a combo. With a 5.0 you would probably need f/i, and a mod motor unless you have it would be too expensive to build ground up.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Depends, are we building the motor from the block up? Or just starting with each motor stock and adding mods to it to get to 600 RWHP? Does it have to be a reliable motor?

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Uhh.....are you talking a forged 03-04 Cobra 4.6, or a pre 03 Cobra motor? Or even a cobra motor at all????

The cheapest would be to buy an 03/04 Cobra motor, since it is strong enough to handle that power stock. Any other engine would require extensive modifications.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Craig Mack said:
Uhh.....are you talking a forged 03-04 Cobra 4.6, or a pre 03 Cobra motor? Or even a cobra motor at all????

The cheapest would be to buy an 03/04 Cobra motor, since it is strong enough to handle that power stock. Any other engine would require extensive modifications.

You're looking at at least $6,000 for a bone stock 03/04 cobra motor. To get 700rwhp out of it you're gonna have to spend another three to five thousand on a better blower, not to mention a lot of other shit. I bet it would cost, including the motor, around $12,000 to get an 03/04 motor in the 700rwhp range. With a 5.0, you can get an R block for $2,000 or so, build it up for under $1,000, buy heads, cam, and intake for under $2,000 and super/turbo charge it for under $5,000. That's a hell of a lot of power for way under $10,000.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Tell Randy Haywood it took a lot of money to build his mod motor, he only runs low 7's in the 1/4 with his navi 5.4(you can buy them cheap cheap).
Gotta love people who don't have a clue.....btw if you don't already know, you can build mod motors pretty damn cheap if you're buying in the right places.
Of course if you're buying everything from SHM i understand your point.
One other point to look at, if you plan on doing any type of racing and want it to last more then a few passes down the track, money better not be an issue or you're fooling yourself.

Last edited:

CATMACH

Crazy
Established Member
A firey moat with flame proof aligators, IN
yeasure said:
Tell Randy Haywood it took a lot of money to build his mod motor, he only runs low 7's in the 1/4 with his navi 5.4(you can buy them cheap cheap).
Gotta love people who don't have a clue.....btw if you don't already know, you can build mod motors pretty damn cheap if you're buying in the right places.
Of course if you're buying everything from SHM i understand your point.
One other point to look at, if you plan on doing any type of racing and want it to last more then a few passes down the track, money better not be an issue or you're fooling yourself.
I'm not sure what engine you are refering to, but doesn't his navi have 00 R heads and a sheetmetal intake? And that was at one time the most powerfull 4v around.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Sorry but you can't buy 00 R heads period(unless you own a 00 R).
As far as his setup, i was only using Randy as an example, nothing more.
I hear a lot of people say 4.6/5.4 cost a lot of money to build(more so then others) but honestly their prices are not really any different then the 302, unless you mean cams but thats because it's 1 cam vs 4 cams.
Honestly, every engine listed in this post can make the power but if were going to build something with that much power, not sure i'd let money be an issue.
Btw, why couldn't you just spray a 03 cobra engine(or any mod motor) like the other engine named above and reach the power......people seem to overlook you can spray a 4.6 just as well as any other motor.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
yeasure said:
Sorry but you can't buy 00 R heads period(unless you own a 00 R).
As far as his setup, i was only using Randy as an example, nothing more.
I hear a lot of people say 4.6/5.4 cost a lot of money to build(more so then others) but honestly their prices are not really any different then the 302, unless you mean cams but thats because it's 1 cam vs 4 cams.
Honestly, every engine listed in this post can make the power but if were going to build something with that much power, not sure i'd let money be an issue.
Btw, why couldn't you just spray a 03 cobra engine(or any mod motor) like the other engine named above and reach the power......people seem to overlook you can spray a 4.6 just as well as any other motor.

Believe it or not there are selling the Ford GT heads in Catalogs now, which are basically identical to the 00 R heads.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Wouldnt buying an old 460 be a decent bet also?

The cheapest no doubt is a 429/460. Early blocks would handle that power stock. Buy a old block get a good set of heads, carb, cam, intake, and exhaust.
There was this same discussion on Corral.net and on some cobra board(shelby replicas). BB would be the cheapest.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
If they are selling them now, those are suppost to be the best flowing heads we have.
SHM states they had a hard time getting a pair from ford to do testing on them.

Users who are viewing this thread