Cheapest/best option for drag tires?

bubbrubb

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help guide me here. What would be the best value tire I could run at the track. I have a set of 17 x 9 10th anniversary wheels that I COULD use, but I was wondering if there were some cheaper options for me.

I'd just use the tires on teh track so traction is a big deal, but longevity and price are also very very important to me since I wouldn't be doing this regularly (since I don't want to burn up those expensive 305/35/18 555RII's I bought off you guys again lol).

Are there certain wheel sizes that are better, as far as tire prices and availability go? If so, could you give me a couple of examples of the tires and the prices? Thanks guys.

The car makes ~520 whp and still has the stock IRS. Low profile IRS bolts wouldn't be a problem to put on if I need to.

Thanks guys!

03cobrarocks

Established Member
hey man there is plenty of options you can go with... even on a budget, it all depends on how much traction you want. traction and longetivity usually dont mix lol. pm me if you got questions becuase i pretty much went through what you are going through with a fine tooth comb about a month ago.

good luck

I am sure they will chime in also

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Keeping in mind the size of wheel you are running, your best value is the Nitto 555R DR in a 275/40R17. We have them currently on special! Check it out.
Details:Nitto 555R DR

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Good deal VelociTT, just keep in mind, Nitto recommends a 10.5" minimum width for their 315/35-17.

Blown02

Established Member
if u drive your car a good bit on the street, I wouldnt get drag radials.. they wear increadibly quick.. atleast my bfg drag radials did.. plus, if u have a good bit of power the low profile wont help.. if i were u i would look for a cheap set of 15" wheels with some slicks on them.. deals can be found. look on all forums

bubbrubb

Good deal VelociTT, just keep in mind, Nitto recommends a 10.5" minimum width for their 315/35-17.
I know thats whats recommended, but how come a lot of guys run them on their factory wheels that are 9" wide? Would I run into any problems getting them mounted on a 9" rim? a 275 wouldn't be nearly enough tire, unfortunately - so that option is out the window.

if u drive your car a good bit on the street, I wouldnt get drag radials.. they wear increadibly quick.. atleast my bfg drag radials did.. plus, if u have a good bit of power the low profile wont help.. if i were u i would look for a cheap set of 15" wheels with some slicks on them.. deals can be found. look on all forums
I don't drive it all that much, and this would just be for a track set up. I'm running the 555RII's on my 18's right now, and they're great. I wouldn't put too many miles on these tires, and to be honest I'd rather buy a set of 555R's for 17's and get them mounted, because they're almost the same price as one of my rear tires. I know that there are better options as far as traction goes, but I like the idea of a longer lasting tire than one that has more grip.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A 315 will mount up to a 9" wide wheel. The problem is that it pulls the sidewalls up. This can cause excessive heat and potentially tire failure. This also can cause the tire to wear faster and uneven. Now don't get me wrong, people do it all the time and have had no problems, but it's my job to make correct recommendations.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
I know thats whats recommended, but how come a lot of guys run them on their factory wheels that are 9" wide? Would I run into any problems getting them mounted on a 9" rim? a 275 wouldn't be nearly enough tire, unfortunately - so that option is out the window.

You will have no issues with the 315's on the 9" rim. In fact, on a 10.5" rim, the nittos BARELY make it to the edge of the rim. On the 9" rims, they stick out about ~1/2-3/4" from the rim font and back.

I ran the 315's on my stock rims before I got the 10.5" FR500s. They are no problem at all. They are a lot narrower than other brands of 315's. The sumitmos I just replaced my nittos with are about 1" taller when layed on the side next to the nitto 315. The M/T's are the same way from what I hear.

So, in short, the 315's will be pefectly fine on your 9" stock rims.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
The nitto tire is the best tire for getting miles out of them, for traction, not so much. Dont get me wrong they hook better than regular street tires but nothing like the bfg or micket thompson.

LS1_KILLA

Banned
get a set of M/T ET Street Radials in a 275/40/17 and slap on those 10th anniversary wheels and be done with it.. IMHO, Nitto's are a waste of money, unless you want a run around tire with just a little bit of grab on the street.. I have a set of chrome fr500's w/315 nittos on the street.. M/T ET Street Radials for the track on my stock wheels, and some 95 GT wheels with regular ET streets for the aggressive days..

I've been 1.67 60ft on the M/T radials.. they are nice

And 315's are too big for a stock wheel.. they bulge tremendously.. And 10.5 inch wheels with 315's will slow you down a bit. Like I said.. your best bet is spend 400 hundred bucks or so, and slap some M/T ET street radials on...

LS1_KILLA

Banned
I'm going to ask about them right now.

How long will they be good for? keep in mind, its about a 40 mile drive for me to the track (lets hear it for heat soak!!)

they should last decent.. I have about a 1-hour drive or so to our 1/4 mile track... I drive with them there usually.. If you just put them on, and drive to the track, and make your runs, drive home.. take off ... then I don't see why they wouldn't last for quite a while.. Its daily driving them when they really start to wear fast..

Blown02

Established Member
heres my old setup.. 315 30 18 bfg drag radials on a 18x9 y2k cobra r wheel. ignore the old ugly apartment, thank the lord I bought my own house now!
100_0286.jpg

100_0216bright.jpg

100_0219.jpg

bubbrubb

thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know what happens and what I choose to buy (or not). Any insight in the meantime is more than welcome

Users who are viewing this thread