cheap turbo set up

Nugz1012

Established Member
well, im on a very limited budget and i want some boost. i was wondering if a single turbo on a 99 cobra can be done for around 1500 dollars? i have read that the motor gets really fragile getting close to the 500hp mark so a lil below that is where id like to be. i see nothing but TT kits and pics but if anyone has some single turbo pics that have been done on the 99/01 cobras id appreciate it to give me an idea. now mind you all the equipment doesnt have to be top of the line, so any suggestions on parts would be nice. Oh, and if someone could give me a rundown of all the stuff i will need, mainly fuel components, ill be running low boost so idk if the stock ones will handle. i understand the majority of what is needed but just in case i missed some smaller components. thanks guys

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
then around 6k for a new motor once u blow urs up going the cheap route...not trying to be mean but u build AROUND power adders

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Well I could see you spending a little over 3 K for a basic turbo kit that you pieced together yourself, but anything for 1.5 is very, very unlikely unless you can fabricate and install most of the stuff needed.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i knew people would be negative but ok thx for the feedback

negative?? you're asking if you can get something for nothing...can you turbo your car for 1500? yeah, if someone donates 2/3 of the parts...

you have to have the turbo itself, the hot and cold pipes, intercooler (if you're smart), oil lines, then the fuel stuff, upgraded pump (for the power you're asking about, you'll definitely need a better fuel pump), larger injectors, and a custom tune...plus some other odds and ends that i don't feel like listing...

there is NO WAY you can do it for 1500 unless you get some parts DIRT CHEAP, or better yet, free...

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Even if you were doing all the work yourself, $1500 isn't even enough to buy the necessary parts.

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
negative?? you're asking if you can get something for nothing...can you turbo your car for 1500? yeah, if someone donates 2/3 of the parts...

you have to have the turbo itself, the hot and cold pipes, intercooler (if you're smart), oil lines, then the fuel stuff, upgraded pump (for the power you're asking about, you'll definitely need a better fuel pump), larger injectors, and a custom tune...plus some other odds and ends that i don't feel like listing...

there is NO WAY you can do it for 1500 unless you get some parts DIRT CHEAP, or better yet, free...

Uhm, the front suspension! People always forget when going turbo you end up having to rebuild the front suspension around the exhaust tubing so it usually goes down something like this:

- You'll need a new k-member to clear the exhaust tubing
- You'll want to have a new matching set of A-arms w/ that new k-member in order to get the suspension geometry right
- A new k-member is likely going to require coil-over shocks & springs
- Coil-over shocks and springs are gonna require caster camber plates

. . . and as long you've got the whole front suspension torn apart and you're adding a power adder, you really should upgrade the front brakes = pads, rotors and ss brake lines at a minimum.

ok, what car should i have bought?...
Well, I've heard of folks doing mild turbo build-up on Fox Mustangs for around $3k but I don't know what's involved. For $1500 worth of turbo, you should likely look for a car that's already turbo and look at upgrades to the stock set up.

Nugz1012

Established Member
well rex, thx for some more parts to look for, thats all i really needed. for the asking what car i should have bought, that was just a smart ass comment back towards kingcobra. i like this car, i was just looking for a way of making power without breaking myself atm. im in school right now so thats why the price is on a limit, once i get out and can start the career the motor build and setup wont be a problem. im just an impatient person :(

REX-RACER

Established Member
well rex, thx for some more parts to look for, thats all i really needed. for the asking what car i should have bought, that was just a smart ass comment back towards kingcobra. i like this car, i was just looking for a way of making power without breaking myself atm. im in school right now so thats why the price is on a limit, once i get out and can start the career the motor build and setup wont be a problem. im just an impatient person :(

Well we all understand budget and time constraints. On a shoe sting college student budget though you should really think about going the bolt on route though at this point. A JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, XCal2 tune and a good deal on a N2O kit will be plenty of car for you at this stage of life.

If you're really interested in the single turbo setup though, do a search for Nazman and his latest set up = built motor/heads/fuel system + single 76mm turbo + TKO600 trans and DF clutch. I think Naz estimates he has somewhere around $15k in this setup. :eek:

wma8706

Established Member
One thing I learned from being a member on this site for many years is your among brothers. Most here will learn through trial and error. You will at times get confilicting advice ..but in general you will ultimatley gain real good advice from many here. Many here have already gone through what your going through...again...for your budget...N2O is your friend...for the time being until you get the funds to really do this right. Your looking at least 6-8k for just the turbo/tune installed set up. Then you should have another 6k+ in the bank for insurance till the stock motor doesn't hold up. You could also save a little going supercharger route. When it comes to power adders....turbos will give you the most potential gains ....but also be one of the most expensive and complicated projects to do. To me ...its like riding a motorcycle.....start off with what you can handle first...then move up slowly. Any 500+ rwhp car is more than a handfull on a regular street...there is so much more than the power..you have to deal with..... transmission, half shafts, gear ratio, clutch, suspension, brakes and tires...all must compliment each other. What you want in the end is a car that is well balanced in the end. So what are your goals? You can get to a mid 11 ET with these cars without a power adder. If your looking to dip in the 10's....Big shot of NO2, steep gears, solid rear and full bolt ons, drag suspension and major weight reduction, ET slicks will get you there! It might be more cost effective to achive the time slip... but has it has it's short comings ...being only temporary available until the bottle runs empty. Centrifical sc would be the better route due to costs and great track performance. Twin screw sc is another option but cost almost as much as turbos on our non terminator 4v engines. Turbos potentially make more power at similar boost levels but are only worth it to me if the engine is already nicely built! Just trying to help...Good luck!

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Established Member
One thing I learned from being a member on this site for many years is your among brothers. Most here will learn through trial and error. You will at times get confilicting advice ..but in general you will ultimatley gain real good advice from many here. Many here have already gone through what your going through...again...for your budget...N2O is your friend...for the time being until you get the funds to really do this right. Your looking at least 6-8k for just the turbo/tune installed set up. Then you should have another 6k+ in the bank for insurance till the stock motor doesn't hold up. You could also save a little going supercharger route. When it comes to power adders....turbos will give you the most potential gains ....but also be one of the most expensive and complicated projects to do. To me ...its like riding a motorcycle.....start off with what you can handle first...then move up slowly. Any 500+ rwhp car is moe than a handfull on a regular street...there is so much more than the power..you have to deal with..... transmission, half shafts, gear ratio, clutch, suspension, brakes and tires...all must compliment each other. What you want in the end is a car that is well balanced in the end. So what are your goals? You can get to a mid 11 ET with these cars without a power adder. If your looking for ten's or better....Big shot of NO2, steep gears,full bolt ons, drag suspension and major weight reduction will get you there! It might be more cost effective to achive the time slip... but has it has it's short comings ...being only temporary available until the botle runs empty. Centrifical sc would be the better route due to costs and great track performance. Twin screw sc is another option but cost almost as much as turbos on our 4v engines. Turbos potentially make more power at similar boost levels but are only worth it to me if the engine is already nicely built! Just trying to help...Good luck!
Well said! :thumbsup:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Friends, I don't think its approrpiate to recommend nitrous to a person with an extremely tight budget. Nitrous can cause engine damage just as quickly as boost. Some trash in the fuel solenoid or a faulty solenoid and you can burn some pistons very easily.

My opinion:

JLT ~200
4.30 gears ~700
o/r H ~150
Ported intake ~350
MGW shifter ~200

thats right around the $1500 you have to spend, and all the mods with the exception of the h pipe and jlt will work with future forced induction.

Should give you 300rwhp or so and be as reliable as a stock car.

01 Venom

Established Member
Quad hit it right on the nose once again. if you have only 1500 to spend and worried about breaking the bank we can not recomend you do any type of power adder.

Even if you could do nitrous or some sort of boost for $1500 the risk to your motor increases and clearly you cant afford any costly repairs.

Do the baisic bolt ons as described by quad, a really nice gear and the stuff listed above will be enough to beat up on most of the local street ricers and what not. It will be a blast to drive and be reliable.

Dont screw around man, save your money. While youre in school is not the time to be spending every dime you make on your daily driver car.

Take advice from someone who has been through it. SPend a little money here and there sure, but dont break the bank over a car and put yourself in a bad spot/

Nugz1012

Established Member
i appreciate the advice guys, atm im running 4.30's on a solid, bbk cai, shifter.i guess ill just deal for a bit, only 5 months till schools out so i need to just chill :D

Users who are viewing this thread