CHEAP @$$ PAINT!

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
What's up with the cheap-o paint??? :kaboom:

I mean this stuff is THINNER than water or something. I just got mine, and of course, its BLACK so any pits stang out like a 4 ton boulder. But anyways, I have 8 paint pits, looks like it's all the way to the metal or something, some on the left, some on the right, some on the hood. WTF.... I never even heard ANYTHING hit my car... and before, like with my 98GT, I had a few things hit it, looked it over and yup, a few pits, but that was something that fell off a truck... 2 years later, I had less pits than I have on this car in 4 days of owning it...

One things for sure though, I'd rather have to gripe about the paint than the engine... :coolman:

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I have one tiny chip on the hood. Already got the touch up paint and my Invinca-Shield is on the way!

King Cobra 03

Established Member
wish i got my touch up paint, still waiting for the dealer to get it for me, along with my SVT owners manual

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I have one tiny chip on the hood. Already got the touch up paint and my Invinca-Shield is on the way!

I haven't got my touch up paint yet, but I DO have most of my invinca-shield on! I only have a couple more pieces to put on.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I hate taking my Cobra on the highway, constantly have to hang back when I get near trucks. I now live with my bottles of touch up paint and Langka -- spend about 1/2 hour a day going over the car to remove little paint pits and chips. The paint they put on the car is really soft. I'm saving up to have the car totally professionally repainted with epoxy or hot cup paint.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Just a thought - wouldn't a good coat of wax or Zaino help prevent some of these chips?

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by terminatd
Pics of the Invinca Shield that is.

I figured as much. :) Besides, if you do a basic search on the internet, you can already find pics of me in a speedo, washing my car. :lol: J/K!

I will definitely post some pics, when I'm done! I'm just not done yet.

All in all, the product is very nice. And the service is very good. I ended up ordering all the pieces they have for our car. If you have a convertible, the 2003 Cobra kit (kit #1439) doesn't include the correct pieces for going around the windshield, but they have another kit (kit #1429) from which you can order those pieces.

...pics to come! Please stand by. :)

mm49

Established Member
Mines in for Re-Paint of the Front lower Valance.

Appartently the Factory thined the Paint Guns and it was so thin that you could see yellow primer coming thru. Not to good on a Dark Shadow gray color !

:rollseyes

JL

magnum4000

Established Member
AMEN about the paint!! :gt:

I've posted this previously, but I'll mention it again. I've owned 4 mustangs (98 coupe, 99 GT, 01 GT Vert, 03 Cobra) - all brand new from the factory. Of all 4, the Cobra has the WORST paint job as far as thickness / durability. I've got spots that go down to the primer, and you can plainly see that the paint thickness is less than paper thin. It looks like they used ONE coat followed by a clearcoat. My spots are NOT stone chips.

I don't expect a car impervious to stone chips, or even chips period, but this is rediculous. Mine aren't even on the hood or the rear fenders! :cuss: Of my other mustangs, I started getting chips on the front bumper after a couple of thousand miles. Understandible. Never had them on the sides.

I'm disgusted.:gt: I'm planning on taking it to the dealer and discussing it with them. I'm even considering a lawsuit if need be. For 35K, I don't believe we deserve a 10k paint job. We deserve a paint job that meets at least the industry standard for paint thickness.

If anyone knows the industry standard for automobile paint thickness, please let me know.

We may even be able to get class action status!

This really burns my A$$! :burn:

magnum4000

Established Member
AMEN about the paint!! :gt:

I've posted this previously, but I'll mention it again. I've owned 4 mustangs (98 coupe, 99 GT, 01 GT Vert, 03 Cobra) - all brand new from the factory. Of all 4, the Cobra has the WORST paint job as far as thickness / durability. I've got spots that go down to the primer, and you can plainly see that the paint thickness is less than paper thin. It looks like they used ONE coat followed by a clearcoat. My spots are NOT stone chips.

I don't expect a car impervious to stone chips, or even chips period, but this is rediculous. Mine aren't even on the hood or the rear fenders! :cuss: Of my other mustangs, I started getting chips on the front bumper after a couple of thousand miles. Understandible. Never had them on the sides.

I'm disgusted.:gt: I'm planning on taking it to the dealer and discussing it with them. I'm even considering a lawsuit if need be. For 35K, I don't believe we deserve a 10k paint job. We deserve a paint job that meets at least the industry standard for paint thickness.

If anyone knows the industry standard for automobile paint thickness, please let me know.

We may even be able to get class action status!

This really burns my A$$! :burn:

NCStanger

Established Member
Yeah I had posted here previously about paint on the plastic rocker panel that wraps around the inside of the front fender well just behind the front wheel having paint just "rub right off". Now when I noticed it when I went to wash it one day, I already noticed a small spot that looked like dirt or tar. So I rubbed it softly with a terry cloth and the spot grew larger to about the size of a quarter. So I got down there close to it and saw that it was not tar or dirt, but the damn paint was just rubbing off. I know it's in a spot where a rock could have gotten it started, but for it to just rub right off like it did kinda blew my mind.

I mentioned it 2 days ago when I went in for my 2nd oil change, and my salesman has already moved on to other pastures (figures, these guys come and go all the time don't they?), so I ended up speaking to this guy in parts named Chris. He said warranty would not cover it since it was on the plastic rocker panel right behind the wheel where rocks probably did it. Even though I told him the paint just started rubbing off, he didn't buy it. He did offer me a free touch up from a spray painter guy named Joe who is there on Tuesdays, or he said he might could get that small plastic front part of the rocker panel already prepainted from factory (white) and it would probably run around $20. I'm calling him next Tuesday to pursue one of the two options.

I did get the Invinci-Shield install last week in NC, and will post some pics of my white coupe with it on it maybe tomorrow. It shows up moreso on white. But my baby is protected from those rocks in at least some good places. I bought the entire kit for the 03 coupe, and other pieces for behind rear wheel, door pillars, mirrors, and on top of the cab. Total for all pieces, $360. Total for install (3 hours) $195. Total for peace of mind riding down the road behind some rock truck, PRICELESS! I had to say that for some reason. I hope it's an investment worth my money in the long run.

Later..........

Last edited:

StreetSnake

Established Member
NCSTANGER you need to take your complaint a little higher than the parts guy. You have a legitimate beef on the paint and it should be covered under warranty:beer:

NCStanger

Established Member
Yeah I thought so too, and if any other spots start "rubbing off", I'm sure gonna complain moreso. But being it was right behind the wheel, and a small spot had already started from a rock (maybe???), I figure they will give me a hard time about it. You are right though, the parts guy isn't the right person to pursue such things. Maybe when I go back in to have it "touched up" or replaced, I will mention the issue with a guy higher up and more appropriate to deal with something like customer satisfaction/complaints.

Thanks for the comments.

KNGOBRA

Banned
Originally posted by mm49
Mines in for Re-Paint of the Front lower Valance.

Appartently the Factory thined the Paint Guns and it was so thin that you could see yellow primer coming thru. Not to good on a Dark Shadow gray color ! JL

I have yellow peeking through on my black 03 in the left hand side rear quarter panel. You can really notice it when the sun is shining on it. I couldn't figure it out until you mentioned "yellow primer", so that must be it......ERRR!! :cuss:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What's the invinca shield like? I know it's a film, but can it be removed if I don't like it without a major hassel, or is this some sort of permenant thing that had better be done right the first time? I like the idea of it, and I like how well people say it works, but it's hard to believe it's not visible when looked at. Also, how does wax/polish affect it? Would i have to prep a professional detailer before getting the car cleaned in case certain cleaning products could disolve/cloud/damage it?

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
I guess I will stick up for the paint. Mine seems pretty thick. I only have my 2000 civic to compare it to and the cobra has way better paint. It seems like it is easy to touch up too. I noticed a hair fine scratch in the drivers side door paint and showed it to the dealer and they took the car imediately to the sevice area an made it disapear in like 10 minutes. I could not find it again.

Users who are viewing this thread