Cheap motor build???

zx3focus

Established Member
Well the only thing I dont like about this car is the expensive cost to put a motor together for it. I want a higher power ceiling and I want it to be as reliable as it is now. How much would it cost to do forged rods and pistons so I could throw more boost at it. The car went 11.95 for the time last night pretty easily. I would like to have a reliable 10 second car but I dont want to have to spend 10 grand on a motor to do it. Is there no way to work around that on these cars? The cars is reliable enough as it sits that all I have to do it change the oil and beat the crap out of it. I have been considering an fbody as it is the only car I can afford that will give me what I am looking for. I would like to run a low 11/ high 10 and be reliable enough to go to the grocery. So throw some ideas around guys, I have been in this rut for a while now and dont know what to do. BTW, I love this car, it looks better and with the IRS turns better than an fbody. It also stops alot better. I just want the power I guess is what it boils down to. I would need an 8 rib kit and a smaller pulley to make more power but I dont want to do that without a motor I can count on. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Morningstar908

Established Member
I saved money by pulling the motor myself and just sending the longblock to the builder. When it was done I put it back in. Total for me was 4000.00 for the parts and labor. Manley pistons / MMR rods / ARP2000 bolts / etc. I spent a little extra getting the heads cleaned up while they were off the car.

zx3focus

Established Member
So realistically I could have a built motor for around 4k? Dont I just need forged rods and pistons? Why do people do like billet gear oil pumps and whatever else. Who did you send the motor to?

The Red Monster

COP SWAP harness guy
Established Member
But really a built 4v is priceless man. You can winde them out to very high rpm with a built Valvetrain. im talking above 8,000 rpm if you want. and you already ahead with an outstanding block and bulletproof crank.

Users who are viewing this thread