Cheap blown '93 for sale

carguy19

Established Member
I looked at that car before I bought mine. Its a mess. Torque boxes ripped out, hit in the front and the rear, painted all over. Really abused car.

Worth 8K tops.

1slohawk

Established Member
I bought the car and got a great deal on it. I don't know what carguy19 is talking about the torque box's don't have a single rip in them I will jack the car up later and take pictures if you don't believe me.there isn't a single twist mark in the body of the car. as for body work the car has all the original panels it got tapped twice on the 1/4 and front fender and you can't tell paint work was ever done. also the car was raced just like any other blown cobra but it was built right it has all of the nicest parts on it and jimmy c did all the work so it was built right. and like I said I got a very good deal on a 53k mile cobra.

Mike

carguy19

Established Member
Mike,

I hate to break the news to you man, but the car was hammered, the rear 1/4 panels on the car are cut out on the edges (wheelwells)and are exposed metal, not done right. There is some surface rust starting in the jams of the hatch. Maybe Jimmy C (Im pretty friendly with him) fixed the torque boxes on the car (he told me that the guy was going to put battle boxes int he car) if he hasnt there is considerable damage to the boxes, you have to put the car on a lift and get a light up there to see it. The fact that the car was "tapped" in the rear...... the car was hit hard in the back, if you open the hatch you can clearly see that the taillights dont sit flush against the pan of the car, and the hatch hangs over the rear of the lights more excessively on one side, also the taillights dont match, one is a repro light (I appraise cars for a living at a car dealership so these things dont show up to the average joe looking at the car but they show up to me). The motor and trans arent original, the fender has been replaced the car has been painted all over the place you can feel the tape lines from when they painted the car in the jams, the body shop never sanded them down when they repainted it, the front bumper is faded as are the headlights, the car runs well and is very fast and I'll agree that its nice to have a cobra no matter what the condition, but 10000 is very expensive for what you got.

All that matters is that you're happy with it. I just think you should have paid less thats all. The owner of the car (Mike I think his name was) was a really nice kid, and the mods have been done right and tastefully by Jim. All that car needs is a PMS and its 100% sound mechanically.

Last edited:

rogerb

Established Member
I was going to buy this car last Sunday. i spoke to Mikey several times on the phone. I had a friend talk to Jimmy C about the car and he said all the same things. I called the owner, left a message and asked why he never mentioned being hit in the rear? Not to mention it had different heads than what he had told me????? He never called me back. Really pissed me off because he seemed like a decent guy. Glad I didn't drive 4 hours for nothing! Well, I could have stopped in to eat at Pizza Town to ease the pain:-D

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
Roger, Jimmy is a good guy to know. Let him know that you are looking for something and he will keep his eyes out for you, I come accross a lot of cars as well, I'll PM you if I see anything. It seems that there are tons of cobras in NJ.

The Swap meet at englishtown might be a place to find one in march/april. You can look up the date on raceway parks website.

I'll keep you posted as well.

rogerb

Established Member
cool thanks. I figured 8K was a fair price to offer. I was not looking for a show car just a good fun toy then when I got sick of it sell it and get my money back. I wheel and deal a lot of cars as well.

rogerb

Established Member
I didn't even get that far. He sent me a bunch of pics I told him I wanted it and we planned on a Sunday for me to drive down and get it. He said it had Edelbrock heads, Jimmy said it had cast iron GT40's, he also mentioned it being rear ended. But Mikey never called me back. Oh well not going to lose sleep over it.Either way for 10K it would be hard to duplicate that car.

carguy19

Established Member
rogerb said:
I didn't even get that far. He sent me a bunch of pics I told him I wanted it and we planned on a Sunday for me to drive down and get it. He said it had Edelbrock heads, Jimmy said it had cast iron GT40's, he also mentioned it being rear ended. But Mikey never called me back. Oh well not going to lose sleep over it.Either way for 10K it would be hard to duplicate that car.

It actually had aluminum GT40 X heads.

1slohawk

Established Member
rogerb said:
Either way for 10K it would be hard to duplicate that car.

thats exactly why I bought it and I didn't pay $10k for it. accident or not the car is really clean and i'm going to have alot of fun with it. the car was defintly well worth the 2+ hour drive to go look at. I mean an LX with the same mods and mileage would sell for around $10k I got a cobra for that.

carguy19

Established Member
1slohawk said:
thats exactly why I bought it and I didn't pay $10k for it. accident or not the car is really clean and i'm going to have alot of fun with it. the car was defintly well worth the 2+ hour drive to go look at. I mean an LX with the same mods and mileage would sell for around $10k I got a cobra for that.

Like I said man, if you're happy with it thats all that matters. I just was making a point and hoping that you didnt get lied to and told that the car was in a few fender benders.

With a few grand and some TLC you can get most of all the problems straightened out I would think.

rogerb

Established Member
1slohawk said:

Good luck with it and have fun beating on it... :D

Users who are viewing this thread