chattering noise coming from passenger side but not when braking

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I have been meaning to post this for a while.

This started long before replacing my clutch, flywheel, tob and input shaft and long before my dreaded blowout.

Probably started after changing brake pads to Hawks.

Driving along I can hear a tst tst tst tst type of sound coming from the passenger side - sounds like under the car (at least from inside).

Weird thing is as soon as I even lightly apply the brakes I the noise stops until I let off the brakes.

Wheels are definately torqued right - checked after my blowout.

Underneath the car everything looks good to me - but what do I know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
mustang john said:
mine does the same thing, its the brake pads they are worn out and the rotor is touching the little spings on the pads.

No way my pads are worn out.

I replaced my stock pads with the Hawks maybe 5,000 miles ago tops.

Maybe something is misaligned but I refuse to believe they could ware out this quickly.

djtyau

Established Member
This is exactly what I am experiencing as well. I replaced my pads and rotors about 6 months ago so I know it is not my pads that are worn out. At first I thought it was my TOB (still on stock clutch), but I did the same you did to stop the noise (stab the brake pedal).

P2K4

Established Member
I had this problem on my cobra and on further inspection, I found the backing plate on the right rear touching the rotor. I bent the backing plate just enough to clear the rotor. The noise went away after I did that. Maybe you want to check to see if your backing plates are touching your rotors.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
P2K4 said:
I had this problem on my cobra and on further inspection, I found the backing plate on the right rear touching the rotor. I bent the backing plate just enough to clear the rotor. The noise went away after I did that. Maybe you want to check to see if your backing plates are touching your rotors.

Thanks, I will check that this weekend.

Dan

P2K4

Established Member
You look for any part of the backing plate touching the rotor, if it's touching the rotor, you bend the backing plate just enough to clear the rotor. I found my backing plate rubbing on the lower part of the rotor, by the right rear tie rod. I suspected that the backing plate got banged up by the wheel and tire when I had my tires rotated. I would inspect all 4 wheels to make sure that the backing plates are not touching the rotors. Also make sure the backing plates are not damaged from rubbing on the rotors, if the backing plates rubbed through and has a hole in it, the backing plate should be replaced. I still have the stock brake pads on my Cobra.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had this same problem when I first put in my Hawk pads.

The noise was exactly as you describe, except after a while it turned into a fully blown squeak. The noise would go away when stepping on the brake, even lightly.

I figured something was touching the rotor other than the brake pad (such as the backing plate or something else). So I took apart the front and rear calipers and inspected them but couldn't find anything wrong. I reseated both the front and rear brake pads then reassembled everything and took it for another test drive to see if I could better figure out what the hell it was.

I finally discovered it was coming from the rear drivers side since even a light tug on the brake cable would make the squeak disappear.

I took the rear caliper off looking for trouble, but again couldn't find anything wrong. My guess is that it was the brake pad itself making the noise.

I pulled the pads out and rubbed them against the driveway to scrub off a bit of material, then reassembled everything and took the car for a drive. The noise disappeared and is still gone to this day.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I decided to change the rotors and pads. This resolved the problems. Rotors had wear left on them but were rusted and a little warped. The warp was causing the noise.

Went with Brembo rotors on sale at Tire Rack and Porterfield R4S pads. I really like the Porterfield pads. Car stops very well, excellent pedal feel and my brakes are once again quiet.

Mr. Couper

Established Member
Damn, its so crazy that many people have had this problem. between this noise and tob noise, it is driving me nuts. i hope it all goes away when i do my clutch and will replace my rotors and pad while im at it. now i have to research what rotors and pads to go with!

04Sonic

Established Member
Check the backing plate like mentioned, if not you can feather the pads. That usually stops it as well.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
Its not the pads its the way they where installed, the spring clips on the pad did not get hooked into the caliper so what your hearing is the pad shaking up and down inside the caliper and the noise stops when you apply pressure to the brakes, its a easy fix if the springs are not broken off the pad

there called Anti-rattle clips

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread