Chasing a tenth .... how to get it?!?!

ssblubyyou

Established Member
03 whiple making 18# on e85, sra, 6 speed, 3:73’s, making 660’s hp.

I’m running MT ET drags 28x10.50’s @ 12 psi. Leaving off 2 step @ 5500. I keep running 1.6x 60’ and 7.1x et at my local 1/8th. My trap speed is alway 100.xx. This car is dead nuts consistent. Tracks about 2100’ above see level. Temps in the 60-70’s. What do I have to do to get this thing to run 6.9’s? I feel like I should 60’ better though. Everyone says I’m driving the guts out of it though.

I’m thinking a k-member, a-arms, coil overs up front, springs shocks for the rear. A 50 shot would be to easy.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would drop to a 26" tire personally. ET DRAG Stiff wall. Your gearing is likely hurting you. If you had 4.10's I'd say keep the 28's but right now your overall gearing is the same as having a 3.55 gear with a 26" tire..

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Losing weight is always a great way to go faster with what you already have. Tubular front end will definitely lose you some weight. Personally I’d pulley down and spin that blower harder. Get it up to around 21/22psi and lose the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ssblubyyou

Established Member
My tuner seemed almost like he didn’t want to pulley my little 2.3 down much more. I have full return fuel system, injectors... everything to support it. Kooks LTs,x, and stingers. I just think there is more left in it myself. This is very well known tuner in the Raleigh, NC area. I don’t want to call names out. I really like them and they’ve been awesome to work with. No complaints at all.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
You're on E85 with only 18psi? SPIN THAT BITCH HARD PLEASE, ITS BEGGING YOU

For ****en real!

No offense to your tuner but he doesn’t really know what he’s talking about here. He’s probably looking out for your best interest and what not but 18psi is 91 octane level. Do you know how much timing you’re at? My friend was spinning his 2.3 whipple to 22psi on e85 and custom cams and knocking down over 750hp without a single issue. My 2.3 TVS was spinning 22psi with no problems cranking 750hp. Going from 18 to 22psi will net you greater gains than a 50 shot and you don’t have to deal with pesky bottle refills and extra safety equipment at the track.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Another vote for turning up the boost. You should do a lower so your not trying to run a 2.6 upper only fighting belt slip.

Free mods is drop weight. Passenger seat, rear seat and seat belts, Mach amp rack and front/rear sway bars alone should get you close

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ssblubyyou

Established Member
It has 2.93 upper and a METCO 2# lower along with 4 piece idler set. I wanted to spin it harder but was almost pushed to swap to a TVS by them.

What pulley set up should I go with to bet me 22# or so? I’m sure they can tune for it but was trying to keep me safe. I don’t care to swap pulleys for pump & E85 track tunes at all. Spraying the car is not something I want to do. Too much trouble refilling and such.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Your 60' isnt anywhere near where it should be. 18lbs on e85 is barely touching where it should be as well. What control arms, shocks, and struts are you running?

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
What is your pinion angle set at? What front suspension are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ssblubyyou

Established Member
Bilstien struts, Tokico rear shocks, Eibach pro springs, UPR upper and lower control arms ( uppers are adjustable). I have not checked pinion angle. The control arms were installed by reputable shop before I bought it. My 60’ is not at all what I thought it should be. I was expecting 1.5x’s worst case scenario. What am I doing wrong?

Leaving off 2 step at 5500 on 12# of air on MT ET drags. ( 28x10.50x15 stiff slicks). I’ve noticed the harder I launch the better my 60’ though. It should be much better I feel.

Soap

Established Member
Lower your tire pressure to 10.5 hot, pull some weight out, ice the blower, cool the engine, take a huge shit etc. Are you power shifting? That alone is worth several tenths.

Your non-adjustable struts/shocks coupled with stiff springs are not helping you at the track. Adjusting your upper control arms will only change your pinion angle but that isn't going to do much for you. If the shop set it at -2-ish you are fine (I'm assuming you do not have solid bushings either).

--Joe

Last edited:

ssblubyyou

Established Member
No solid bushings. I think I’m going to focus on the suspension and get it working at the track. Definitely going to pulley this Whipple down some more too. Combination of the two should definitely get me in the 6’s and hopefully drop my 60’ times too. I only had 3 runs last Friday so next track day I will give the 10.5# hot a try and adjust from there.

Users who are viewing this thread