Charging system

whatsup62

Established Member
Anyone have had any issues with there charging system?
Today i was driving the car and noticed my Ngauge starting to power down.
I looked at my voltage reading and it was at 12.2.
Went out on the interstate and it stayed constant at 12.2. Stopped and gassed up, left the car running and headed home. It spiked up to 14.1 for a split second then back to 12.5....Ngauge came back on. Stayed there all the way home. Not sure what to look for.

Dcrypter

Established Member
I'm no expert but it sounds like problems with your alternator. Stop by an Autozone, if you have one near you, and have them check it.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Sounds like your alternator is on its way out and your were running off the battery. unless you have a loose connection. you wont be going far on just the battery so def get it figured out.

908ssp

Established Member
Cars always run off the battery. The alternator should be charging the battery with 14+ volts. The regulator is in the computer not the alternator anymore so make sure that the tune hasn't changed the charge current. The Denso in our cars is a very good alternator 100 times better than the motorcraft ones were.

whatsup62

Established Member
The charging system issue happened two more times before I realised the constant variable. When I would wash the car in a car wash that has the under chasis wash the charging system would get wet ( guessing a direct shot into the alternator). Once things dried out went back to normal. Fix- no more under chasis washes.

Users who are viewing this thread