CHarging Problem

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
I just had my motor rebuilt. I put it all back in yesterday. My battery was dead cuz it was sitting for a long time. I put it on a charger and charged it fully. anyway it dies in town last night. I take it to advance auto since thats where i bought it. They said it was bad and gave me another one free of charge. Well then that one died as well. and my battery light was on the gauge luster, but the battery voltage gauge was right in the middle where it should be. Next step is im going to replace the alternator today. Is there a chance of it being anything else???

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
before you buy a alt. make sure all your connections are correct.
like your ground and your the one that goes to the power supply box.
i have a feeling something isnt tight. or disconnected.

J

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Check to make sure the battery and engine are grounded properly. Otherwise it won't charge.

The battery is grounded to the front frame, close to the headlightand the motor is grounded on both sides. is there anyway to tell whether its due to grounding or to the alternator?

K2AHollywood

Established Member
throw a volt meter on it check it, then crank on all your acc and check it again. Should give you a really gopd indication...but yes if the battery light came on, then its your altenator, the voltage gauge as many have pointed out is a dummy gauge

K2AHollywood

Established Member
throw a volt meter on it check it, then crank on all your acc and check it again. Should give you a really gopd indication...but yes if the battery light came on, then its your altenator, the voltage gauge as many have pointed out is a dummy gauge

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Don't go buying anything until you know what the problem is. If you have a DMM hook it up to the leads at the back of the alt. and see if its putting out around 14V. If your alt is putting out the correct voltage, then check your wiring. Replacing items without knowing if they're bad is a sure way to waste a lot of money. Chances are something isnt hooked up right being your engine was just put in the vehicle and it was charging before the rebuild.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
you should also be grounded from the engine to the frame too.
pretty sure it comes right off the motor mount and connects to the frame jut to the rear and under the battery.

J

Users who are viewing this thread