Charging issue

s351

Established Member
Hey, just started having a battery light issue where if I leave my car parked for a couple days, start the car I get a battery light, I then pull out the multimeter and it's not charging the battery. So I then pull off the negative battery terminal and leave it for a while, come back and hook up the battery lead.

The car then starts battery light goes away and is charging how it should be, tested with a multimeter. Now for the rest of the day I can hop in start the car and it has no battery light/charging issues.

If I leave my car sit for a couple days the battery light/no charging issue comes back and I rinse and repeat the following steps. Is this simply my alternator going bad? I'm not correlating how resetting the ecu is making the car charge again, but then a couple days later it stops working if I dont start the car.

And this is with a fully charged battery done this numerous times the last 2 months. Car is an 03 turbo car so the alternator is up top like the mach 1. I have checked all the connections they're all tight.

The last time it happened and the battery light came on, the reset didnt work it, the battery light stayed on and it wasn't charging, so I disconnected the battery and left the car for 5 days, its winter storage time. But I went back today and hooked up the battery just for fun, and started the car and no battery light charging how it should.

I'm lost on this one so looking for some advice.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had a strange charging issue.

main ground is on a motor mount bolt

this snapped and was still in bracket but it did burn me.
After changing alt and it still not charge when I started pulling it came off.

how I found out was with using jumper cable as new ground to motor

I seen 14v than which lead me to ground wire to check

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Your alternator diodes might be going bad you have 3 pos 3 negative on most alternators. Sometimes 1 diode goes bad or one of the slip rings oddly usually the inner slip ring starts to wear fast. Just thought mention because you said it's easy to get at to check

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

s351

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, well I checked my chassis grounds and did a diode test, all seems fine there I'm starting to suspect the voltage regulator is going bad in the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread