Charging issue on a Cobrar alternator wired to a Mach 1 harness

notagt

Established Member
I am in the process of swapping in a 03 Cobra Motor into my Mach 1. We used the Mach 1 harness and attached the connector that fits the Cobra alternator color to matching color, but after 5 minutes of running car dies from no voltage. I have a 2 gage power wire with a 200A fuse and it reads 11.8 on both sides of the fuse. Is there any wire/connector may have missed? The swap was done lifting body and dropping out the bottom, so wonder if there is any additional connectors anywhere may have missed. Car runs fine with battery charger connected while running and the alternator (Cobra) was professionally rebuilt to 200A prior to install with a bigger pulley. Entertaining idea maybe a bad battery, just want to verify the wiring aspect of it first...thanks guys

notagt

Established Member
Ok, check this out

y0Mq8UQ.jpg

These are readings..there is 12V at the connector, plug into alt and voltage is 1.9V ?? I called alt man and he said on 6G Alts. there are 5 possible voltage regulators..5 digital and 1 analog. Seems that most take voltage of 6.5 V controlled by PCM to start charging (they are color coded), Sooo, if voltage regulator wants 6.5 V and you hit it with 12V well... I am taking it back to alt shop and in a nut shell with Mach 1 harness and PCM, he will put a voltage regulator to match in Cobra alt. I will update, or any inputs from you guys. This is what mechanic sent me

nCu4txg.png

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? This is what I need to complete my engine swap, along with a coolant flush. Thanks !!

Last edited:

notagt

Established Member
Never really figured this out so went back to alternator shop and he did a power wire only setup without using harness connector. Will I get a battery idiot light on dash not hooking up connector wire?? If so, is there a light on instrument panel I can pull out just for this indicator?? Do I need to do anything with unused connector?? It has 12V at it, do I just tape it up, jumper pins ?? Anyone running this type of alternator setup?? Issues??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread