Changing your own oil (5.0)

Itsdafiveoh

Established Member
Anyone here change their own oil on the 5.0 yet?

What filter/oil did you use?

Thinking Im going to tackle this over the weekend. Not taking the car out in the snow to get it done. :thumbsup:

a_gorman

Established Member
I have not done mine yet but I have everything sitting here ready to do it. I went with the NAPA GOLD filter and Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Pick a brand of oil (conventional or synthetic) that matches the Ford specified weights and requirements for additives and detergents and stick with it. Stay away from FRAM filters.

Those are my recommendations.

ViciousJay

Established Member
ive changed mine twice

FL500s Motorcraft filter and 5w20 motorcraft synthetic oil, ill be using this till out of warranty, then ill move to a different synthetic

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
ive changed mine twice

FL500s Motorcraft filter and 5w20 motorcraft synthetic oil, ill be using this till out of warranty, then ill move to a different synthetic

This, motorcraft filter at rock auto. Order a couple of them and they are cheap.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
i got mine locally for cheaper, an di live about 40 miles from Rock Auto

Nice, but I wasn't able to find them any cheaper than what came out to $6.18 each shipped to my door. Also I will pay the extra dollar to save my time.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
do our cars have i sensor that actually determines how dirty the oil is and translates into telling us our oil life? i know that car tells oil life, but it the car guessing off of miliage or other?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
do our cars have i sensor that actually determines how dirty the oil is and translates into telling us our oil life? i know that car tells oil life, but it the car guessing off of miliage or other?

The oil life indicator uses algorithms to determine oil life. It bases it off of factors such as oil temperature, vehicle operation etc.

If it's anything like the system GM uses in the Corvette, I'd trust it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The oil life indicator uses algorithms to determine oil life. It bases it off of factors such as oil temperature, vehicle operation etc.

THIS!

But i change mine every 4K to 4.5K regardless...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Yep, all of the newer Fords are starting to use a system like this. It's very beneficial on the diesel trucks.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
does it come from the factory with 5W-20 semi-synthetic (or synthetic blend I think they call it now) same as the 03/04 Cobras? I've always stuck with the exact Motorcraft oil and filter and my Cobra is like new engine / running wise. burns zero oil, runs strong. oil is very clean when I change it @ about 4,000 miles. No leaks.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
Was the first oil change a pain in the ass?

I don't know about the Mustang, but when I went to do my first oil change on the challenger, an 800lb Gorilla at the factory must have put the oil filter on. I had to take it in.

I'm planning on doing my first change this weekend if the weather permits.

Users who are viewing this thread