Changing your own diff, anyone done it

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I have all the parts (True-trac diff, R&P, master kit, oil) sitting on my bench. Car is on a lift and I have a very good selection of hand tools, pullers, a press, etc... . Is this a DIY for someone that isn't in a hurry or should I take it to a rear shop?

I'm all in except for special Ford tools (shim installers, etc...). Are these really needed or have others successfully installed without them? I'm ok with picking up a pinion depth fixture/indicator.

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I can not offer any advice, but i do have a guy here in CT that has done 4-5 of us in our friend circle of Mustangs from foxes to 05 mustangs with the 8.8 rear and has used no shims, we have not heard one noise from the rear. SO it can be done without shims.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
If you have never set up a new set of gears before AND you aren't in a hurry it can be a DIY BUT, you better have a clear set of directions to follow!! Shims must be used to provide proper pinion depth. Once again, cannot stress the importance of proper install instructions to follow to be able to come up with adequate drive and coast patterns on ring gear teeth surface to provide trouble/noise free operation!! Good luck

armycook1981

Established Member
I did mine a few months ago with a buddy who told me how to to do what.. My first time in my garage no lift just jack stands.. Everything was find only special tool I needed was the caliper press thing from autozone (rented it and got my money back).....

I would google it and search YouTube videos if you have no one to assit you it really wasn't that hard but there is some key things you need to know

Of course mine was a a rebuild

But with the true track we installed it a few weeks ago in a buddies 2011

All we needed was a press for the bearings which we went and did on base, but there is a special note that you have to read about your gonna have to shave I think it's .037 off the axle spacer if not then you won't be able to get the spacer between the axles, it took is aout an hour before we found it on line that's what you had to do with 11+ 's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread