Changing VIN Block

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Anyone know a way to change the VIN block in the ECU (EEC V)? I have a Cobra ECU in my car and it appears it never had a VIN programmed in. When I check it with my SCT handheld the VIN shows the handheld's serial number with a couple characters at the end to make it the right length. I don't know how that going to go when I try to get it inspected. I haven't had the car inspected since the new NY inspection changes. My tuner had a guy come in to try to program it like at the dealership. Unfortunately the software wasn't letting him flash it with the 00 VIN and Cobra strategy.

Any one have a possible solution? I wouldn't mind shipping my ECU to someone if they are confident they can do it.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't have sct anymore but I believe sct shows the serial number for the vin as the hand held number on any ecm.

If you do end up having a problem talk to decipha, he'll be the best bet for your situation.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I don't have sct anymore but I believe sct shows the serial number for the vin as the hand held number on any ecm.

If you do end up having a problem talk to decipha, he'll be the best bet for your situation.

Interesting didn't know that. Either way it's blank or the VIN of my old car so I'll have to change it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Updating since I hate when people don't post the solution.

I contacted SCT and it turns out it's common for an ECU bought from Ford to not have a VIN. They are taking my stock file and editing it. You then return to stock and it enters the VIN, from there you go back to programming as normal. The Advantage/Pro Racer software can't do it but they can on there end it seems. I'll try to update again after I go through the inspection for final result. This is kind of a big deal in the North East for all the guys that did swaps before the new equipment came out.

decipha

Established Member
it makes me happy to hear that SCT is really going above and beyond. I have to admit their customer service lately has been exceptional.

I think this is what CJ was referring to

from this link: http://efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

the 3rd option down, I highlighted in bold the vin reference

$100+ - ECU Re-Flashing (NO TUNING)

This service is provided for those who already have a working tune on an external J3 chip or a handheld flashing device. This service also includes updating / calibrating the speedometer for rear axle ratio or tire size changes. This can also be used for ECU REPLACEMENT, if you have a faulty ecu/pcm, bring or ship both the old ecu and new ecu in to have the existing tune and anti-theft PATS code copied over from the old ecu to the new ecu (+$100). This also applies to all engine swaps as well, keep your cluster, keys, transponder, and update the pats code in the ecu, no more swapping everything for V6 to V8 or GT to Cobra engine swaps, No need in spending additional money at the dealership to have your PATS system reprogrammed. You may also request to have your HEX pats code if you'd like to keep a backup for your records. Will also update your stored VIN - Vehicle Identification Number for hot rod swaps or just to update your VIN in the ecu if required to have it for emissions purposes.

This service also gives you the ability to keep your existing tune and "UNMARRY" your handheld device so it can be sold or used on a different vehicle. This does require that you remove your ECU and send it in for flashing. Price does not include shipping. Shipping outside of the United States will be the actual cost of shipping only, you are responsible for customs fees if your country charges import taxes. PATS Passive Anti-theft can be disabled (+$200) as well as slight tune adjustments made for an additional fee, contact me to discuss details.
Note: To Disable PATS you MUST show proof of vehicle ownership. A photo copy of the vehicle's registration and/or title as well as a copy of your drivers license or ID is required. The VIN saved in the ecu must match the registration or vehicle title. If the VIN does not match or if the ecu was removed from a salvage/parts vehicle a background check must be performed for an additional $50 and will delay the process.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
it makes me happy to hear that SCT is really going above and beyond. I have to admit their customer service lately has been exceptional.

I think this is what CJ was referring to

from this link: http://efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

the 3rd option down, I highlighted in bold the vin reference

$100+ - ECU Re-Flashing (NO TUNING)

This service is provided for those who already have a working tune on an external J3 chip or a handheld flashing device. This service also includes updating / calibrating the speedometer for rear axle ratio or tire size changes. This can also be used for ECU REPLACEMENT, if you have a faulty ecu/pcm, bring or ship both the old ecu and new ecu in to have the existing tune and anti-theft PATS code copied over from the old ecu to the new ecu (+$100). This also applies to all engine swaps as well, keep your cluster, keys, transponder, and update the pats code in the ecu, no more swapping everything for V6 to V8 or GT to Cobra engine swaps, No need in spending additional money at the dealership to have your PATS system reprogrammed. You may also request to have your HEX pats code if you'd like to keep a backup for your records. Will also update your stored VIN - Vehicle Identification Number for hot rod swaps or just to update your VIN in the ecu if required to have it for emissions purposes.

This service also gives you the ability to keep your existing tune and "UNMARRY" your handheld device so it can be sold or used on a different vehicle. This does require that you remove your ECU and send it in for flashing. Price does not include shipping. Shipping outside of the United States will be the actual cost of shipping only, you are responsible for customs fees if your country charges import taxes. PATS Passive Anti-theft can be disabled (+$200) as well as slight tune adjustments made for an additional fee, contact me to discuss details.
Note: To Disable PATS you MUST show proof of vehicle ownership. A photo copy of the vehicle's registration and/or title as well as a copy of your drivers license or ID is required. The VIN saved in the ecu must match the registration or vehicle title. If the VIN does not match or if the ecu was removed from a salvage/parts vehicle a background check must be performed for an additional $50 and will delay the process.

Interesting, depending on how this works out I might look into that.

+1 for SCT lately. I called them twice that day (once to see if they could do it, once to do it) and was only on hold for >5 minutes. A couple years ago I called about my handheld and was on hold over an hour. Possible staffing changes when they changed to "Derive"?

Users who are viewing this thread