changing the oil

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
Trying to change the oil in the cobra for the first time.. uhm where the heck is the drain plug??? Ive looked all under the car but cant seem to see it.. haha someone point me in the right direction please.

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
look under your car by your tranny for a thing that looks sorta like a black box and you will see a bolt there on the oil pan that is your drain plug...

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
also put aluminum foil everywhere under the oil filter or it spills all over the parts there when you pull off the filter.

If the car is on ramps, after the oil seems drained, you can jack the car up a little on the side (forgot which side, it's the side opposite to the drain plug) and some more oil will come out because of the angle.

04torchred

Established Member
Drain plug is towards the driver side of the car just behind the rear lip of the K-member. Let the car run for 15 minutes before you pull the plug and the oil will drain out faster.

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
I also use the aluminum foil to keep oil from spilling down on the steering and suspension components...

Make sure that when you remove the old oil filter the rubber gasket comes off with it. Sometimes they stick to the engine and then when you install the new filter you have two gaskets. This makes the oil leak out very badly...

Also, if you feel like it and you have a really big allen wrench you can check the fastener that holds the oil cooler on for tightness. Sometimes they loosen up and this makes the oil leak out very badly...

What kind of oil and filter are you using?

Juruense

Banned
http://images.google.com/images?cli...hl=en&q=tin+foil+hat&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

tinfoil.hat.jpg

wvmystichrome

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
also put aluminum foil everywhere under the oil filter or it spills all over the parts there when you pull off the filter.

If the car is on ramps, after the oil seems drained, you can jack the car up a little on the side (forgot which side, it's the side opposite to the drain plug) and some more oil will come out because of the angle.

I had mine changed for the first time at the local Ford dealership 2 weekends ago. The service tech used some kind of spray (not engine cleaner) to spray down all the underneath to get rid of all the oil that was on the parts. He said that way it would not drip on my garage floor plus fly back all over the underside of the car.

MVD

Established Member
wvmystichrome said:
I had mine changed for the first time at the local Ford dealership 2 weekends ago. The service tech used some kind of spray (not engine cleaner) to spray down all the underneath to get rid of all the oil that was on the parts. He said that way it would not drip on my garage floor plus fly back all over the underside of the car.

If he was good there wouldn't have been any oil to clean off.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
04torchred said:
Drain plug is towards the driver side of the car just behind the rear lip of the K-member. Let the car run for 15 minutes before you pull the plug and the oil will drain out faster.

Sure is.....it looks like a plug that would drain oil form the oil pan.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
If you can't find the drain plug, you should probably let someone else change your oil. JMO.

edit: Sorry, didn't realize you are a girl. Atleast have someone maybe come show you how to do it the first time.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Damn, give the girl a break, she drives a cobra and is working on it her self.

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
Haha no i wasnt kidding.. Ive changed the oil plenty of times in my cars. In my 02 and i do my dads cougar for him since he cant get down to do it much. I just couldnt find the damn bolt! Finally saw it and got the oil changed. All is well!
This time around was to just get the crappy ford junk out.. im using Mobil 1 full synthetic and a motorcraft filter. In anoter 3k miles im gonna be going back to Amsoil.

Users who are viewing this thread