Changing s/c oil

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Any of you guys been changing your s/c oil? What interval?

I need to do this on both my eatons, pontiac and cobra. Pontiac guys say to use GM supercharger oil but I just saw on cobrabob's website that Steigemeier says to use mobil 10w30? The two blowers are very similar, I think the cobra is the eaton M112 where the pontiac is the eaton M90. I can't imagine they (eaton) reccommend two different oils for the two blowers?

Can I get away with 10w30 or should I order the GM supercharger oil?

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I think a lot of guys on here use the GM stuff actually. Apparently, the S/C oil is easier to get at GM dealerships.:shrug: I would go with Stiegs recommendation though.....

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Rick James said:
I think a lot of guys on here use the GM stuff actually. Apparently, the S/C oil is easier to get at GM dealerships.:shrug: I would go with Stiegs recommendation though.....
This is exactly what I thought, and why I'm torn. I tend to trust Eaton more than Stieg's, but that's why I'm asking. Anyone know what Eaton says?

The pontiac guys are always posting up about how TERRIBLE the S/C oil smells. Which leads me to believe it isn't the same as 10w30. More like diff fluid or something else maybe. I don't know...

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I was told by a Ford dealer there was no need to change or add oil.

Should we be checking/changing/adding???

If so, HOW/WHEN??

Ken

:beer: :beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Mobil 1 10w-30 is the oil of choice for a bunch of Terminator folks and is the one used by the premier Eaton porter in the land. ;-) The specified supercharger oil will obviously get the job done if you're so inclined.

It is recommended that for "boosted" Eatons that you change the supercharger oil every 15,000 miles. There's a real thorough write up on how to do this in the "How To" section of the Terminator Forum.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Mobil 1 10w-30 is the oil of choice for a bunch of Terminator folks and is the one used by the premier Eaton porter in the land. ;-) The specified supercharger oil will obviously get the job done if you're so inclined.

It is recommended that for "boosted" Eatons that you change the supercharger oil every 15,000 miles. There's a real thorough write up on how to do this in the "How To" section of the Terminator Forum.

Good stuff to know, thanks.

CobraMan69

Established Member
ford doesnt recommend changing supercharger oil but i bought some ford oil anyway before i found this out but if your ported you should prolly do it

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
As info - The instructions I got with my 140AX state to change the oil every 100k miles. I was shocked to see this as one would think something with such high RPM's would require more maintenance.

SVTcobra04

Established Member
not really the same but...i think i saw on rpmoutlet it said procharger recommends changing the oil in them every 6K:eek:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Alright now, we have so many diff opinions I am fully confused now.

I have not changed mine yet, I have 25K on the COBRA and 15K on the L.

Is this someting I should look at doing? Same oil/process for the L as the COBRA I would assume.

My old man has a GTP Grand Prix and they just told him to check it periodically and keep it full, with the GM oil of course.

SO, whats the deal? Change it out or leave it be for 100K?

Thanks,

Ken

:beer: :beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have a buddy with a GTP and I change his every 10,000

I pulled a M90 off a older GTP that hadn't changed it in about 60,000 and it was black and stunk really bad.

Mity-vac vacuum pump with catch can for $25 and suck it out through the fill hole is how I do it.

JMO, do it every 10K. The oil is pretty cheap so why not.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
I have a buddy with a GTP and I change his every 10,000

I pulled a M90 off a older GTP that hadn't changed it in about 60,000 and it was black and stunk really bad.

Mity-vac vacuum pump with catch can for $25 and suck it out through the fill hole is how I do it.

JMO, do it every 10K. The oil is pretty cheap so why not.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. Syringe and tube can change it also, even heard of using a turkey baster. If you don't have a mity-vac.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Per the how-to in the Terminator section, someone indicated that they called Eaton and Eaton said that the oil is absolutely not the same as 10w30, and also that it did not need to be serviced for 180,000 miles. Eaton recommended getting the oil from ford or GM, but that GM may stock it where Ford may not.

The thread also references another thread where Stieg chimed in and said that the 10w30 "will work Fine for you" (the person asking) but that at Stieg they also condition the Mobil 1. Someone also said that the weight of the supercharger oil is different than the 10w30, but I don't know if it is true.

I guess in the end, I trust Eaton more than Stieg, especially if Stieg isn't even using pure 10w30.

Is there more info somewhere that I missed? I just shot an email to the Eaton OE Supercharger customer service rep. Hopefully he can shed some light on this, and I will post his response to my questions here, when and if he responds.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Well, my supercharger oil looked like it was not that dirty. I used a jello shooter injector with a piece of rubber tubing to get mine out ;) It's easy to do and it doesn't hurt as far as I'm concerned. I changed mine at around 18,500 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread