Changing out the lower pulley.....

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
From what I can see, the only accessory that runs off of the supercharger belt is the alternator. Am I correct? If that's the case, then I'd probably change the lower pulley and leave the top one in stock form. Why? It's easier to change out and less noticeable that you've tampered with the stock configuration. I don't mind about running the alternator at a higher RPM cause it's cheaper to fix that if it ever breaks.

So now my question is who makes a lower pulley that will give me an additional 4 lbs of boots over stock?

FlashSVT

Established Member
BTW, the the upper pulley is much less obvious if you get the stock OEM Ford Lightning pulley. =)

Undy

Established Member
I've changed my old 01 L's lower pulley several times before and it is a major pain in the a$$. That 14mm allen head bolt is a killer. The 03's top pulley is m-u-c-h easier to change. It took me less that 1/2 the time and I didn't have to get under the vehicle.. In addition, the 03's lower pulley is going to be much harder, much much more expensive, not give as much boost and be a whole lot more noticeable to the dealer than a "lightning upper pulley" IMHO.....

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Thanks Flash!

That looks sweet, but it's too costly. I think the upper pulley may be the better deal then.

Dude when you get ready to change out that pulley of yours, let me know so I can come watch you and see how you do it.

FlashSVT

Established Member
Dude when you get ready to change out that pulley of yours, let me know so I can come watch you and see how you do it.
Next week for sure . . . only 200 more miles to go! We can probably meet up next Saturday, weather permitting.

Going to throw a K&N filter, some NGK TR6 plugs and I'm going to pull the silencer tonight.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Cool... PM me and let me know. Thanks...

Do you already have a chip for it? Or will you be running with the stock computer?

FlashSVT

Established Member
Do you already have a chip for it? Or will you be running with the stock computer?
Stock Computer. I'll let the MAF do it's job. =)

I'm going to pick up a MAFterburner soon so I can play with the A/F when it's time to dyno. I also use AutoXray (Handheld Enhanced OBDII Scanner)

I'll PM you . . .

matstang03

Established Member
I just ordered the lower pulley kit from amazonracing. I will let you guys know the results when i get back from mustang magic on sat. I am hoping for some good numbers
Matt

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by FlashSVT

Stock Computer. I'll let the MAF do it's job. =)

I'm going to pick up a MAFterburner soon so I can play with the A/F when it's time to dyno. I also use AutoXray (Handheld Enhanced OBDII Scanner)

I'll PM you . . .

Hey Flash,

Being the creator of the MAFterburner I call tell you with 100% certainty that the MAFterburner will have ZERO effect on your air/fuel ratio should you increase the boost over stock. The reason for this is simple: for 2002, the fuel control strategy of the PCM was changed. As a result, the PCM can not deal with a calculated load over some maximum limit. Once the fuel table sees the maximum expected calculated load, the injector pulsewidth saturates and not matter what you do with the MAF, the air/fuel ratio will not budge.

This change in fuel control scheme has some tuners reeling. If you start looking around at dyno charts posted by '03 Cobra owners with chips, you will see that very few chips really get the air/fuel curves under control. It is my understanding that the Diablo tuners have a pretty good handle on this problem. Anyway, I ended up tuning my car with my company's latest product: Afterburner-eFPC. It is an electronic fuel pressure controller for RETURNLESS fuel systems. However, this product will not be on the market for 6-8 more weeks.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that, although the MAFterburner is an awesome tuning tool, it is not the right tool for your situation. As I would like to respect the owner/moderators of this site, if you have any questions or would like information on my new product, email me at: [email protected]

Take care,

Mark

FlashSVT

Established Member
Being the creator of the MAFterburner I call tell you with 100% certainty that the MAFterburner will have ZERO effect on your air/fuel ratio should you increase the boost over stock. The reason for this is simple: for 2002, the fuel control strategy of the PCM was changed. As a result, the PCM can not deal with a calculated load over some maximum limit. Once the fuel table sees the maximum expected calculated load, the injector pulsewidth saturates and not matter what you do with the MAF, the air/fuel ratio will not budge.
Great info Mark! Is this similar to how my 01 Lightning seemed to hit a 5V MAF wall? (I.e. pegging the meter?)

Looks like Afterburner-eFPC is going to be a sweet piece of equipment. I'll shoot you an email when the time comes to play. I have not had the best of luck when it comes to chips, mainly due to my strange enviroment and poor fuel here in Portland, OR. It can be 35 degrees in the morning and 90 degrees 6 hours later. Add 92 octane and tuning becomes fun! =) I had to mix Xylene for a while just to prevent pinging. =(

Thanks again!

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by FlashSVT

Great info Mark! Is this similar to how my 01 Lightning seemed to hit a 5V MAF wall? (I.e. pegging the meter?)

Looks like Afterburner-eFPC is going to be a sweet piece of equipment. I'll shoot you an email when the time comes to play. I have not had the best of luck when it comes to chips, mainly due to my strange enviroment and poor fuel here in Portland, OR. It can be 35 degrees in the morning and 90 degrees 6 hours later. Add 92 octane and tuning becomes fun! =) I had to mix Xylene for a while just to prevent pinging. =(

Thanks again!

Hi,

No, the MAF saturation phenomenon is a totally separate problem.

Feel free to contact me anytime. I'll be posting some cool information on my products up on the website very soon.

Cheers,

Mark

n2fords2003

Established Member
HOLLY $hit! IF you think that change will be simplier than changing the upper, I wish I could be there so I could laught for hours while you try that one. You are going to have to take everything off the front of your motor to get that thing on. I would never do that job. You can already over boost your blower with the 2.8". Just pick a size for the upper and go with it. Our cars are not like the lightnings.

Vetteater

Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
HOLLY $hit! IF you think that change will be simplier than changing the upper, I wish I could be there so I could laught for hours while you try that one. You are going to have to take everything off the front of your motor to get that thing on. I would never do that job. You can already over boost your blower with the 2.8". Just pick a size for the upper and go with it. Our cars are not like the lightnings.
I am going to agree with N2...Boost is boost no matter how you get it. Why spend the costly dollars and hours of labor to change the bottom pulley when you can spend as much as $100.00( for a custom made pulley ANY size) and about 15 minutes of your time. The logic just isn't there in changing the bottom pulley...WASTE OF TIME FELLAS, use your heads :bash:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Vetteater
I am going to agree with N2...Boost is boost no matter how you get it. Why spend the costly dollars and hours of labor to change the bottom pulley when you can spend as much as $100.00( for a custom made pulley ANY size) and about 15 minutes of your time. The logic just isn't there in changing the bottom pulley...WASTE OF TIME FELLAS, use your heads :bash:

As long as all goes well, you are correct. However, if you've seen the pulley tools in action, there is a lot of stress going on, both with the pulley coming off, and with the new one going on AND with the tool operator sweating hoping that little 5/16-3/8 ish ( it is probaly some metric thread) threaded rod that you are pulling the new pulley on with doesn't give out, and that the pulley doesn't rotate in the big pliers you are holding it still with and get all gouged up.

At least the lower is all nuts and bolts like we are all used to dealing with.

I have the upper btw.

JT

Users who are viewing this thread