Changing out the clutch pedal spring

ArkLightning

Established Member
Probably been covered several time before but I bought the Steeda clutch spring to replace my stock one. I crawled under there and stared at that heavy stock GT350 spring for awhile and quickly discounted using needle nose vice grips as there not enough room between the coils to get in there with the jaws. Rummaged through my tool boxes and junk boxes awhile and best thought that occurred to me was to try a small c-clamp I had. It actually worked quite well. I adjusted it to where it barely fit over the top retainer and the white retainer below the big spring and held it in place while I pushed the clutch pedal to the floor. It held the big spring and it was pretty easy to disengage the top perch and remove the whole assembly. Installing the Steeda spring was not an issue.

IMG_4477_zpslowyabrw.jpg

It's not a night and day difference but does take most of the staginess out of the travel and allow modulating engagement easier.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Cable ties also work to compress the spring and might be easier to get into position than a C clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread