Changing Oil on the 03 Cobra.

MustangRacer310

Established Member
Dear Cobra Lover,,

I have an 03 Cobra and I have put about 2700 miles on it. I have not changed the oil yet and I was reading and some say that you should change it after the 1st 500 miles. Well, I didn't change it after 500 miles. Is that something I should worry about it?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thank You

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Good luck with the change, because for one reason or another somebody at Ford tightens the oil filters 1 & 1/2 turns beyond finger tight. Makes getting the damn thing off a mother. :gt:

SVTBlade19

Established Member
I'm approaching the time for an oil change as well any recommendations on what brand and type of oil to use, and any preferences on the oil filter??

SVTBlade19

Established Member
I'm approaching the time for an oil change as well any recommendations on what brand and type of oil to use, and any preferences on the oil filter??

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i got owned by the oil change in my car...thought i'd be real cool and do it myself. could barely get under the car, couldn't find my oil pan thing (to catch the oil in) so i tried one of those paint tubs (you use to paint your house w/ the roller)....worst idea ever. the paint tub overflowed, the oil filter oil got all over the garage floor, when pulling the paint tub out it sloshed everywhere (not on the car though)....needless to say, when it was all said and done, there were about 3 quarts of oil on the floor and the rest got tossed into my yard b/c i was so pissed off!

now i take the Mobil 1 oil and filter to the oil changing place and they do it for $10.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
i got owned by the oil change in my car...thought i'd be real cool and do it myself. could barely get under the car, couldn't find my oil pan thing (to catch the oil in) so i tried one of those paint tubs (you use to paint your house w/ the roller)....worst idea ever. the paint tub overflowed, the oil filter oil got all over the garage floor, when pulling the paint tub out it sloshed everywhere (not on the car though)....needless to say, when it was all said and done, there were about 3 quarts of oil on the floor and the rest got tossed into my yard b/c i was so pissed off!

now i take the Mobil 1 oil and filter to the oil changing place and they do it for $10.

Damn. Next time pay someone.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
I just did mine at 1000. It is a little ticky in your garage. I use the motorcraft filter and oil 5w-20. Will change to Mobil 1 at 10,000. Any sooner and your engine will never break in right. Mobil 1 is coming out with a 0W-20, that is the direct replacement of the recomended oil by ford. I have not seen in it on the shelves yet.

Bobby Adams

Established Member
Dude you must be smokin Dope. You can switch to Mobile 1 anytime. Hey Porsche sends their shit from the factory with a fill of it. I have always used Mobile 1 from the start on all of my cars and have not had a problem yet. Trust me make the change whenever you change the oil the first time. And dont start me on the oil weight debate!!!!

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Has anyone looked at the darkness or blackness(if there is a word) of the oil and 500,1000,1500,2000,2500,3000 miles. Just wondering how dirty the oil gets on the first oil brake in?:coolman:

Cobra'03

Established Member
"Blackness" of the oil is not an valid indicator of anything - first, different formualtions have different colors to start with - and the additives keep dirt suspended rather than letting it gum up the works, so you want your oil to become dark quickly. I do not believe there is any substantive vsariance between the first and successive oil changes in that regard.

Regarding the "factory fill" use of Mobil 1 - remember, the mfr. has to supply the buyer with a car that uses the same lubricants as the factory certified it with - perhaps for emissions and EPA reasons it went with a synoil. That does not prove that it may not be a bad idea to break an engine in on mineral oil first. And there is evidence based on conversations I have had with tribologists and powertrain engineers that. indeed, factory fill synoils extend the time it takes for full oil control to occur.

Also, remember your history - when Corvette went with Mobil 1 as factory fill in 1992, they claimed it was to avoid the cost/complexity/weight of a mechanical oil cooler - I know, I was at the press introduction! They also wanted to bump their fuel mileage, and needed a fast flow oil, and were not content with the performance of the 5w30 minoils then available.

Chevy has had some problems and has changed the tension of its oil control rings many times - even today, complaints of C5 drivers anout excessive oil consumption seem much more common than similar complaints with the 4.6 quad cammers.

Call me old-fashioned, call me savvy, but I think the jury is still out on when to switch, and I see absolutely no harm in waiting at least 1000 miles before switching over.

King03Cobra

Established Member
I guess I'm confused ? Corvettes & Porsches come straight from the factory with Mobil 1 and those are pretty high performance rides. Our engines have pistons, rings etc. made of metal just like theirs. Why not use Mobil 1 from the get go ????? :shrug:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by King03Cobra
I guess I'm confused ? Corvettes & Porsches come straight from the factory with Mobil 1 and those are pretty high performance rides. Our engines have pistons, rings etc. made of metal just like theirs. Why not use Mobil 1 from the get go ????? :shrug:

check what I wrote:shrug:

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Enjoying the dope TYVM. Svt is the god, i wanted to stay on the safe side. See ya at 10000. The debate goes on.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to wait until 5,000 miles before I switch over to synthetic oil. Until then, I will use either Pennzoil or Motorcraft 5W-20.

Users who are viewing this thread