Changing my Oil Tomorrow...

01SVT_TruBLu

I usually go with Redline 5/20 and have been thinking about going to 5/30 but I have been reading mixed reviews on 99/01 Cobras going with 5/30....

Would I benefit by going to 5/30?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You could search. There have been a TON of oil threads lately.

0W-30 German Spec Castrol. 7 quarts and a 820S filter.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01_SVT said:
I usually go with Redline 5/20 and have been thinking about going to 5/30 but I have been reading mixed reviews on 99/01 Cobras going with 5/30....

Would I benefit by going to 5/30?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Let's ask this . . . Why do you want to change? If there are no issues w/ the car, why suddenly throw a curve ball?

01SVT_TruBLu

REX-RACER said:
Let's ask this . . . Why do you want to change? If there are no issues w/ the car, why suddenly throw a curve ball?

i know that chaging will not give me more HP..... Car's been running like a champ but I have neglected her since I had back surgery and so now I'm getting back to things i used to do.

She's due for a tune-up...plugs and oil so I figured I'd try the change since it seemed that most folks at the L.I meets in NY have switched.

She has 23,000 miles (body has 38,000) and I just didn't know if I would benefit from it such as less gas consumption...

Also, is gear oil supposed to be changed at 40,000 miles? A camaro friend suggested I should...though i haven't felt anything wrong since the gears were done 15,000 miles ago... your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, 5w-30 mobil 1 is already very thin for a 30 wt oil.

The 20 wt is EXTREMELY thin. With the blower heating the oil (don't remember if you guys run prochargers), you will be greatly thinning the oil. Especially with a touch of fuel dillution that comes from large ring gaps and big injectors, you might be pushing it.

Id run a thick 30wt like german castrol.

2001 Blue Snake

Established Member
Does anyone actually use the Motorcraft 5W-20? I assumed that it was designed for the motor seeing as how it was the only 5W-20 I could find and that Ford uses it.

What are advantages/disadvantages to synthetic? I've been told that once you go synthetic you can't go back. Is that true?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
2001 Blue Snake said:
What are advantages/disadvantages to synthetic? I've been told that once you go synthetic you can't go back. Is that true?
molecules in a conventional oil, such as the motorcraft, have varying sizes of molecules. by having unequal sizes of molecules there is uneven wear on the oil itself. think of it like this, if there is a strand of regular conventional oil molecules in a row where the sizes vary in the order of: big, small, big, small,.... now think of a piston moving along a cylinder wall with this strand of oil molecules in between the two. the big molecules will be the main ones in contact, and therefore recieve an excessive amount of wear and over time break down. now the small ones will get little to no wear during this. then when all of the big molecules are broken down, the small ones finally get to lubricate, but the oil is only doing half as good as it could be because all of the larger molecules are history.

for a synthetic oil, that is not a problem. all molecules are the exact same size and lubricate evenly the entire time. there is no premature break down because instead of only half of the oil molecules working at a time, they are all supporting and lubricating equally.

now, it's your choice to go synthetic or not. i think 99.5% of cobra/mach/other nice mustang owners will tell you that they run some brand of synthetic oil. it is better and always will be. oh yea, you can switch back from synthetic if you really want to. that's just a myth. why you would ever want to stop using a synthetic oil is beyond me....

hope this all helps :) .

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
i run mobil 1 5W-20 in my blown 01 cobra.
I would step up to atleast a 0w30 or 5w30... The 20 weight is really thin and doesnt offer as much protection. even ford lowered there estimated engine life by 30,000 miles when they switch to it for better economy.

kgcobra320

Established Member
quadcammer said:
nope. any autozone should have it.

Unfortuneately that is not true. Castrol does not manufacture the infamous
green stuff any more. Anything with a date stamp of M05 100 or newer is a
new formula, now known as the gold stuff. I'm on the east coast and have
been looking now for about 3 months, about 12 autozones and I have only
found 12 quarts! If you are lucky enough to have a local supply, better buy
all you can now.....it won't last long!

BTW, IMHO 5W20 is too thin of an oil for a performance application. Ford
back spec'ed it to meet CAFE standards only.

KG

Users who are viewing this thread