Changing my gears in the 8.8, small problem. what to do?

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
Hello all,

Im geting down to the end of my build and its time to change the gears.

This is my 97 cobra with a built long block and turbo.

The car came with 31 spline axels and 4:30 gears. They made a lot of noise.
I removed the rear end from the car and pulled it all apart. In the past, I have gotten away with removing the stock ford gears and using the shim behind the pinion gear, then puting the new gears in. Always used ford gears.

When I took the 4:30's out, it looks like who ever put them in, didnt put a shim in. looks like they just presed the bearing on with no shim, put them in and sent them on there way.
I have never set up the pinion depth. Is there a easy way out of this? i dont plan on putting 100,000 miles on this thing but I dont want it to lock up or scream.

These gears have been in the car for 10,000 miles. I have only put 35 miles on this car, then took it all apart. Im going with ford 3:55's
Whats an easy way to find out what shim would be best to use?

Thank you.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
You have to set the depth, no real way around it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
start w/ a .030 shim and a check the pattern, adjust from there. That'll get you a good starting point... the actual pinion depth is not as important as having a good pattern.

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
start w/ a .030 shim and a check the pattern, adjust from there. That'll get you a good starting point... the actual pinion depth is not as important as having a good pattern.

That's what I was thinking.
Could I use the old crush sleeve as I go, then when I find the best spot put the new one in and set it.

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
got the gears set but now after looking the spider gears over. The 31 spline track loc gears that the clutches sit on are stress cracked.
Now to see if I can find just the gears witht the splines.

Users who are viewing this thread