Changing from non Navigation to Nav. Easy?

svt4me2

Back in the saddle again
Established Member
Don't know if this subject has been discussed or not. I am wondering if a car without the navigation screen can be converted to one with. I know anything can be done when you throw money at it, but I was wondering if it was feasible? How much for the used navigation screen? How much for the different controls? Has anybody done this, or is it just not feasible?
Thanks for any input regarding this,
Scott

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I traded my car for one with nav. its easier.
if you have a sync car there are some aftermarket kits out.
the factory nav conversion would be way to expensive. if even possible.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
That Raxiom Navi kit on American Muscle's site looks nice, but I've yet to see any videos of anyone having it besides AM.

svt4me2

Back in the saddle again
Established Member
Really don't need the navigation because we all have it on our phones. Does this stock unit play DVD/videos? I'm debating if the navigation should make or break me getting a certain car. Never had it before, so don't really know.

Scott

RyannB

Established Member
Someone else would be able to chim in about it playing DVD/videos, I just couldn't see spending an extra $2300 or so on the factory nav. I've only heard good things about the Raxiom unit so far. It's always out of stock on AM too.

svt4me2

Back in the saddle again
Established Member
Anybody with the factory nav system out there? Is it worth it? Aside from the navigation portion of it, does it do anything the basic stereo can't do? Very curious.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I have factory NAV, and I love it. I think it works great and makes the interior of the car look that much nicer. I'd almost guarantee if you have a premium model car, you have the same interior wiring. Most cars do, so you could probably just swap it in. Maybe you need an antenna or something.

Dark_Horse_5.0

Established Member
I use my factory navi system quite a bit. Directions and maps are now bad, mine is a '11 so I don't have app link, so I can not change pandora stations on the radio, has to be done on the phone. All and all its not a bad system, If I was buying a new stang I would not get it though, too much money.

I also have smart phones and could use them for directions, its just a lot easier to have it on the radio display.

scott_0

Established Member
it's been said that an install of factory nav into a non-nav car would be very expensive as the actual harness is totally different between the cars, I've seen good reviews on the Raxiom but imo it looks cheap, like a Chinese ebay unit, plus the screen looks too small in that large an area

JasinEdward

Established Member
my wife has the factory system in her 13 fusion.... to watch a dvd on it you have to have the car in park..... it's a factory safety feature...

califsp

Established Member
The cost of the retrofit if you do it yourself is $1300 +. So much better to go with the Maestro kit for the same money. Plus you get tons more features and functions.

greenscobie86

Established Member
To be honest I've had great luck using google maps' navigation feature via Syncs Bluetooth system. Voice directions via turn by turn are good enough for me.

That being said a Raxiom system looks pretty nice, I wouldn't endure all the troubles of integrating a factory Nav though...

Users who are viewing this thread