Changing color of vanity plate letters

out99sider

Established Member
First all, appreciate the advice and feedback from you all. It's always been a great forum over the years to get input. With that said....

I recently just picked up a steal of a deal on a RT-10 Viper. The car is black with black HRE wheels. Never owned a black car but digging it so far. I have a vanity plate ordered. I am from South Carolina and this is what our vanity plates look like if you aren't familiar: http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...602-abarth-personal-plates-new-abarth-254.jpg

My question is- could I have a professional vinyl shop create some black vinyl letters to overlay on the blue to go with the black theme of my car. I asked the DMV and they asked me to reach out to LEO's. I feel like this would be a nice tasteful touch. Thanks in advance for the advice.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Not sure about other states, but I think most would be similar to Virginia here, in that NO license plate may be altered from it's original appearance.

silver03svt

Established Member
So as an LEO's opinion, if you cover the letters/numbers with another color, then you have violated that statute. Do more research into the plates themselves, and most with authorize the colors to be used on them.

oldmodman

Established Member
Someone asked this same question on another site a few years ago.

The answers surprised me. The police officers that responded said that if the overlay letters and numbers had the same amount of reflectivity at night, and the same level of contrast day or night (they don't blend into the background) they would not bother to stop the car.

The legality question was NOT answered. Just officer's opinions.

silver03svt

Established Member
I know in Virginia, the state actually mandates the colors of the background AND the letters when it solicits the bids from the manufactures of the vinyl that covers the aluminum tag base stock. The background and lettering is reflective. There is a code section in Virginia that says ANY alterations to the license plate is illegal, although I have seen people with older tags that are faded pretty serioulsy try to paint the letters blue again. But I can honestly say I have never seen any plates where somebody has actually changed the color of the lettering to match the color of their car.

FATlaws

Established Member
Just do it:banana:, I ran in VA for 2 years without a front plate before any problems and it was one cop in particular and one cop only that ever cared/noticed. Most probably won't actually notice the color of the letters if its reflective enough and readable. If you get pulled over simply pull them off and most cops will be cool, if not, probably a small ticket that if you've got a viper you should be able to easily afford. Gotta pay to play, and even more to look good doing it.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'd do it, how can a officer tell anyway? We have plate her that come with different color lettering from the DMV, I've seen blue and red letters on some of the different style plates offered here. I think I've even noticed some with black letters too, I'm a fleet manager and visit the DMV often. I'm going to ask them about this on my next visit.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Doesn't hurt to try it. I could only see you getting in trouble if you ran across a real dick of a cop, although it probably is illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread