Changing careers? Who's done it

joemayo

Established Member
I'm thinking about going back to school. I'm only 26 and my current job (commercial diving) isn't steady enough. Plus the guys that have been in the game for many years only a few look to be doing well financially. I don't have any schools loans or house note at the moment. Who else has went back to school already paying for one type of career field and switched over? I could possibly go back to school this Dec-Jan. Also I can always go back to diving when stuff picks up or we get a hurricane

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Im on my third major career change. Five college/graduate/professional degrees. It is never too late to go back to school and change your path in life.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I am in the same boat as the above post...I am 41 years old and have changed career's 3 times as well....Looking to get into my 4th as I hate the corporate environment (too cut throat)

After high school and during high school (co-op) I worked and became a dental lab technician (certified)....that field lasted for about 9 years and it fell to the way of technology

Got into banking (while going back to college) for another 9 years but then they all started to buy one another up and it became all sales driven....

Lastly, I am in operations with my Business Management degree and trying to get situated and work up the ladder.....(Going way to slow for me and not enough security)

From my understanding/reading.... a person can easily change careers at least 5 to 8 times in their work history......

Last edited:

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
I am thinking about it. Been working at the hospital for 4 years, and while they pay me very well for what i do, i feel bored and im not challenged. I have been offered a position at Biomet Ortho, however the job is more commission than fixed. So trying to weigh those out suck, especially after I have been treated so well here and just bought my first home.

BTW im 27.

prs97

Established Member
I did it. Went from a biochem/lab background to IT.

My advice is to do it when you're young. Easier to have the energy for both new schooling and current job if you have to do it that way. Plus hopefully less family and financial things that have to be juggled like kids, a mortgage, house maintenance, etc.

I changed careers before I got married, bought a house, etc and I think it was easier that way. Not trying to be preachy. Just saying what my perspective is.

Life is too short and working years too long to be miserable going to work every day so I say go for it.

Good luck in your endeavor.

dreamer1q

Established Member
I am in mid transition now. I am 38, and have been a salesman since I left college early in 1993. I am not back in school full time online, while working full time and maintaining all of life's responsibilities such as child support and bills. Its tough, but it is going to be totally worth it in the end. Like prs97 said, life is too short to be miserable. Make the change now and do all that you can to be happy. You only get one go round in this world, and you have to be willing to take chances to get what you want.

Make it happen Cap'n!

Bronze123

Established Member
From my understanding/reading.... a person can easily change careers at least 5 to 8 times in their work history......

Its recommended. And i understand why. After getting laid off I switch to a different company. and currently loving the hell out of my current job. There is so much out there, and its just recommended to try something new. Nothing personal or leave on bad terms but trying something new is good.

original poster. Good luck

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I have been considering this. I kindof fell into aviation instead of wanting to get into it. I have about 35grand left on my GI bill and considering another career path but not sure what i want to get into. Either thinking IT security or risk management or security consultant. anyone into these or have done in the past?

AKcobra

Established Member
Currently in the service tech industry. Talking to a major competitor right now about joining their sales force. I'm a little nervous, no sales background. You only live once, and I don't feel I can let the opportunity pass.

Users who are viewing this thread