Changing branches of service?

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
tried to but the Army won't currently take any Os less than a Captain and the Navy only wants you if you want to be a SEAL:(

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
We're taking soldiers in the Army but most have to be IRR transfers. I just got a former Marine E-4 added today.

GARDENSNAKE97

Established Member
What about CWO in the Army? I heard they are taking other branches for certain WO designators as long as you're an E-5.

GARDENSNAKE97

Established Member
can an IRR from the Marines go into the Coast Guard?
My buddy got out of the Navy as an E-5 and the Coast Guard said they would take him but he would pretty much have to start over as an E-3. This was a little over a year ago and I'm not sure if the policy has changed or if it just applied to his situation. Personally I wouldn't want to go into another branch if they didn't let me stay at my current rank.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
It all depends. If you are currently in a rate/mos/specialty that equals a Coast Guard Rate then probably. The Coast Guard does love hiring prior service. I was an 0331 in the Corps......I started from scratch! Worth every minute of it too. I absolutely love my job. Driving ships, Blowing stuff up, getting busts, SAR, and well....I dislike picking up migrants....But most of the time we are saving their lives. Worth at least looking into.

Coastie

Established Member
Seems like the Coast Guard is about 20% prior service from another branch. Check with a recruiter for details on your specific case if interested. I cannot overstate how great the Coast Guard has been to me during my 18 years. Good luck.

OU812

Established Member
I have 3 friends that did the blue to green deal, 2 of them went to be O's. One is now a Capt and one is 1Lt, they love it. The one that went enlisted hates it, he says it's more unorganized than the AF if that's even possible. He did leave the AF as an E-4 and put E-5 on as soon as he graduated basic training though.

OU812

Established Member
Why did he have to go back to basic? Was he out for a few years inbetween?

Nope, he left the AF with 2 years still on his contract and went straight into the Army. He was told when he left that he would only have to do some kind of basic combat course but when he got there they made him go through the full basic. I think it was because he was aircraft maint in the AF and went infantry in the Army.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I don't. A friend of mine left the Navy as an E4 and joined the Army about 6 months later and made E5 after he left basic. He couldnt make 5 to save his life in the Navy.

6 months is much different than upon completion of BCT.

Promotions are merely time in grade in most circumstances.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
6 months is much different than upon completion of BCT.

Promotions are merely time in grade in most circumstances.

+1

How does a guy get out of the AF as an E-4(P) and former mechanic, then join the Army and change his MOS to infantry and pin on E-5 upon completion of basic training? He doesn't. Did he go in front of the E-5 board at some point during basic? LOL! Who put together his promotion packet and recommended him? Especially since that happens at his command and unit duty station after they see leadership potential. This former mechanic turned ground pounder is pulling some legs.

OU812

Established Member
+1

How does a guy get out of the AF as an E-4(P) and former mechanic, then join the Army and change his MOS to infantry and pin on E-5 upon completion of basic training? He doesn't. Did he go in front of the E-5 board at some point during basic? LOL! Who put together his promotion packet and recommended him? Especially since that happens at his command and unit duty station after they see leadership potential. This former mechanic turned ground pounder is pulling some legs.

My bad guys, he said he put it on after he graduated ranger school. At that point he had been in the Army for over a year. I thought it was his basic graduation because he just said "I put it on after graduation" so I assumed it was from basic. Regardless, he still put it on a lot faster than he would have if he stayed in the AF.

boatcop1

Established Member
It all depends. If you are currently in a rate/mos/specialty that equals a Coast Guard Rate then probably. The Coast Guard does love hiring prior service. I was an 0331 in the Corps......I started from scratch! Worth every minute of it too. I absolutely love my job. Driving ships, Blowing stuff up, getting busts, SAR, and well....I dislike picking up migrants....But most of the time we are saving their lives. Worth at least looking into.

I can assure you as a CG recruiter it's not as easy as it used to be to cross deck. With this current economic and recruiting climate it is nearly impossible to get a rate determination package aproved for anyone unless your a cook! Recruiting for the CG is extremely fluid and changes dynamically quarterly.

Seems like the Coast Guard is about 20% prior service from another branch. Check with a recruiter for details on your specific case if interested. I cannot overstate how great the Coast Guard has been to me during my 18 years. Good luck.

We do have a lot of prior service. As I said above, right now almost all prior service are accessing the same as civilians if they cannot be rate determined and most RFMC's are not signing of on packages. It's an economic tool that like everything else will change in time. Unfortunatley it usually takes an act of terrorism or act of nature to open the eyes of the powers that be but after 18 years you already know how it works in the puzzle palace :??:. Sad but true!

:beer:

96project

Established Member
I don't know about other services but I just tried to transfer from NG to active army 11B and they said there not accepting anything except 18x right now. And I always heard it was easy to switch while on title 10 orders but I guess not. Maybe its because its the near the end of the fiscal year

Users who are viewing this thread