Changed the fuel filter today!

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
You should have seen the crap that came out of my Fuel Filter.....nasty ass brown stuff. It was the first time it was changed since I bought it used with 20K miles on it

Big Man

Fill r Up!
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
?
it took like 10 min and you smell like gas

its fun you get to sniff gas for a while :D
Took me 30 mins because the connector on the line from the tank was different than the one going to the engine.

And yes, I did snuff some gas.:-D

Last edited:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
yeah....woiuld be nice if they had the connectors the same....specially that style with the clip....then no need for a Fuel line removal tool.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Big Man said:
Took me 30 mins because the connector on the line from the tank was different than the one going to the engine.

And yes, I did snuff some gas.:-D

The connector for the line coming from the tank doesn't require any tools. You just release the little retaining clip and pull it off. It's the one that goes from the filter to the engine that requires a tool.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Just a little tip, let the truck sit overnight and remove the gas cap before taking off the fuel filter, this will help with the amount of gas that comes out. Normally, a shop rag on the frame under the filter will soak up the little bit that drips out of the line, but I also put my oil drain pan underneath when I pull the filter off (you tip the filter one way and all the gas inside it will poor out, lol)

I normally use the stock Motorcraft, but I have used the Napa Gold before. I put a brand new one on every two oil changes.

y0rascal

I admit to being a Newbie
Established Member
i should do this soon too... chris the how to you posted doesn't provide any pics =( any other how to's on this? with some nice pics...

and stock motorcraft is good enough? or expd/navigator filter? which one is better?

Big Man

Fill r Up!
Established Member
SWThomas said:
The connector for the line coming from the tank doesn't require any tools. You just release the little retaining clip and pull it off. It's the one that goes from the filter to the engine that requires a tool.
I was reading up on how to do it using this how-to. It shows the same connector on both sides, and thats where I got hung up at. But I figured it out. To me it seemed easier to disconnect than the other.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
99-02 ahve connector on both sides....03&04 have it only on one side....IIRC

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
I remember the first time I did it...that damn connector whooped my ass for about 15 min.

OH-MAN

Established Member
Big Man said:
Did it myself for the first time, IT SUCKED!!!:fart:

That is all.:smmon:

It is not bad with the correct tool.
Way better than the stinking plugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread