changed my spark plugs yesterday

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
First off, I am never going to let anyone change my spark plugs again except me.

About 10K miles ago (I'm at 13K now) I had a local dealer (performance shop also) put my 2.75 upper on my car and change my spark plugs to teh NGK TR6's...now I gave them specific directions to gap them at .035". They must of of ignored my request and gapped them totally wrong.

Foward to present time now. Yesterday I decided to change my spark plugs myself. I gapped them at .035" and begin the change. As I was taking each of the old spark plugs out I checked the gap on them. ALL OF THEM WERE FROM .041-.043 ONE WAS EVEN .045!!!!!!!

I don't know if it was my fault for not checking them in 10K miles or if the installer mentioned above screwed up the gap entirely.

To top it off all my spark plugs had very dark black sut on them. ALL OF THEM. What does this mean? I can't see it being a rich condition because the last time I went to the dyno I was at 11.8:1 almost all the way across the board (tail pipe sniffer).

Anyways, car is running a MILLION times better then before...I think the horrible gapping hurt me badly before.

ALA G8R

Banned
With all that boost, I'll bet you had huge spark blowout. All that missing would explain the blackened plugs.

Glad you got it corrected.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The gap gets bigger with time, no way to avoid that. They may have gapped them right, but a hundredth of an inch has eroded from each side of the gap in 10K miles. That's why FI cars needs their plugs replaced more often. That small change in gap wouldn't afffect a n/a engine much at all. But it makes a big difference on a FI car.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
so what's a good interval to check my plugs? I have no problem taking them out and checking the gap everynow and then, but shoudl I do it every 3k miles? less?

ALA G8R

Banned
I would check them after 1k miles to see if they are fouling anymore. Assuming they are not, don't check them for another 3k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread