Changed my plugs

TrickStang37

Established Member
Not much to the thread really. Just stating that I changed my plugs from Autolite 103's to the TR6's. The car feels MUCH better, I always thought some of you guys were full of it when you say you feel a difference from one plug to another.

My tuner originally had the 103's gapped at .028-.030. He had installed them too. He had said some cars he tuned had spark blow out at .034 (what he use to gap them) so he closed the gap. 8,000 miles later, I changed them out for the TR6's gapped at .035. Very noticeable improvement.

I hope to get a little better gas mileage as well, I hit an all time low mileage (12.4mpg, city only, mostly really short trips, been cold around here, mid 30's to low 50's) couple weeks ago. Three of the plugs looked OK, three others pretty dark/blackish and two in between. Next time I'll probably pull them at 5000-6000 miles.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
You have an 03. When you said "spark blow out" did you mean "sparkplug blowout....of the cylinders heads"?

On that engine I wouldn't even trust the Pope to change my plugs. Danger Will Robinson :uh oh:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
He had said some cars he tuned had spark blow out at .034 (what he use to gap them) so he closed the gap.

I had spark blowout with my TR-6's gapped at .34. When I was upper only, there was no spark blowout issues. Then with the port, there was crazy spark blowout at 5800 RPM all the way up to redline.

It was nothing I could feel at all, but we saw it on the dyno. I regapped the plugs to .30 and the spark blowout disappeared.

It seems as if some guys can run higher gaps, and some can't :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread