Changed my brakes

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I finally got around to and got the cash to change my brakes. It needed rotors and pads all around. The rear pads were so worn that they started eating into the rotor. Anyway, I went with Brembo factory replacement rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The Hawk pads are a huge improvement from factory, and are super quiet. We'll see how much dust they create, but they gave me a great improvement in stopping distance and overall brake feel.

When peole say the rears are a pain they aren't kiddin. Even with renting the special tool kit to compress the rears it was still a pain in the ass. It took like 400 turns to get it to compress, made a simple brake change into a lengthy event. I actually do not reccomend getting the tool for those interested in trying to change your own breaks. A vise-wrench worked much faster and was easier to use. Still there has to be an easier way to do it.

My front calipers are pretty faded and I was thinking of possibly painting them Bright Atlantic Blue, or a color very close to it to match the car. Do you think that would look good or should I just go with the typical black or red paint?

Also I'm thinking of painting the inner rotors as described in previous threads to keep them from rusting. What was the name/brand of the paint that everyone uses? And will it wear off quickly and not hurt anything if some paint enters a contact point on the rotor for the pad? Thanks,

Paul

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
I have never had a problem with the rears. you just need the right tool. I changed mine all around and it took me less than 2 hours

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I just went to NAPA for the caliper paint. Got the "ceramic 1200*F" stuff. % bucks and turned out real nice. Painting the rotors was very easy too. Just masked off the wear surface with blue painters tape and hit the rotors with about 3 coats each (soaked up the first 2 coats pretty quick). I can covered all rotors and calipers. Total time was about 4 hours to remove, paint, and install everything. Good luck. also, do the atlantic blue and post pics, I think it will look bad ass!!
Grant

FindemorGrindem

Established Member
Hey, did you have a problem with the hawk pads being too "thick". I know it sounds stupid but I had to try a few different brand pads to get them to fit on the rear. I had the piston all the way back in the caliper and a few sets of pads it just wouldn't go over.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
FindemorGrindem said:
Hey, did you have a problem with the hawk pads being too "thick". I know it sounds stupid but I had to try a few different brand pads to get them to fit on the rear. I had the piston all the way back in the caliper and a few sets of pads it just wouldn't go over.

With the piston all the way back the caliper needed some slight persuasion from the rubber mallet. But they went on easy enough.

This reminds me of one thing I will note on the rear brakes on these cars. The pads in the rears rest on metal sliders that can easily be corroded or gunked up causing the rear pads to rub up more on the rear rotors than they should when you are not braking. This is what caused my rear pads to vanish at so much of a quicker rate than the fronts. The solution is easy, simply dab some antisieze on the sliders and you shouldn't have a problem with this. Even if your brakes haven't been changed in a while but are still good, I recommend taking this step to ensure your rears have a long life. The fronts do not have this design, so no need to worry there.

Paul

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I bought that tool for $6 from Oreilly's Auto and it can be used on six different types of brakes. I never did get my calipers back over the rotors/pads right. Still have the old pads with 1/3 life on there!!! :-(

Users who are viewing this thread