Changed alternator and battery now I hve a misfre???

freeriders98

Hey all!!! Sorry this is my first post, normally on a forum I try to get the lay of the land first. But I am in a pickle as my SVT is my main commuter car and I need to get it up and running properly ASAP.

Here is the issue
So I have a 2002 SVT Focus. It has 118k miles on it. Both my battery and alternator took a dump on me. Got it all back together and now there is a misfire.

It is not throwing any codes. It is pretty rough at idle even to where it almost dies. Then under load it stumbles and misfires. Under hard acceleration it smooths out a bit but you can still hear it missing some. At cruise 65mph and consistent RPM it misses as well.

I've looked over everything that I disconnected and can't see anything I missed. I even puled the cover off and looked at the VCT thinking maybe I knocked it loose or something.

When I went to pull off the serpentine belt at first, I pulled on the idler pulley instead of the tensioner. Is the serpentine Idler attached to the timing at all? Could I have bumped it out of time?

freeriders98

So I think I have it figured out. I started working through things that would typically cause misfire issues, instead of thinking it was related to the alternator. Which I disconnected and reconnected all the connections I messed with during the Alternator.

So I pulled the plugs. #1 was almost at a 2.0mm gap. Setting is suppose to be 1.3. So I pulled the rest. 1.6 was the closest. So I put new NGK plugs in. Cleaned up all the misfire on the low end. Only misses at WOT. I am going to order a new wire-set and hope that cleans up the rest. From what I can tell it looks like it was probably original plugs and wires on it. And I am at 118k miles. They are all Motorcraft parts, and as bad as the plugs were I don't think a platinum plug would be that bad had they been changed anywhere along the way.

So it is looking like it is just my lucky week and coincidence that my battery, alternator, plugs and wires all wanted to act up at the same time.

freeriders98

Timing belt ever been done?

Not to my knowledge. Previous owner bought it at 90k miles. He told me that his mechanic said it looked like someone had already done it...

So with that solid amount of information I am planning on doing it as soon as I have the funds. And in the mean time hoping and praying it doesn't break.

Users who are viewing this thread