change mufflers only??

Lord Warlock

Established Member
Through reading on the site, people say a catback swap doesn't add that much power on its own, not without mid lengths or long tubes or an xpipe of some sort, so if you weren't going to swap out the entire catback and just wanted to get a slightly deeper tone to the cars exhaust compared to the stock exhaust, what mufflers are recommended to work on our cars?

I'd like to be able to hear the exhaust slightly while in the car, right now with the factory exhaust, its so silent you can't hear any exhaust note unless you get out of the car (my hearing isn't perfect so i miss some noise). I don't want to spend 800.00 on a borla set (yet) and don't think i really need a catback replacement since mine looks fairly new still, but it does need mufflers.

In the old days we'd just throw on some cherry bomb glasspacks, but those would be horrid in the daily driver mode i use the car in. What mufflers do people get installed if they don't want to replace the catback or the hpipe?

I figure i'll prob go for a quiet borla later on, seeing as i have one on another car and like it alot, but right now the expense of the catback is too much to justify on this car, i'm trying to keep my car mod money for the older car i'm rebuilding instead.

Lord Warlock

03zycobra

Established Member
Swapping the catback is beneficial. Stock cat back is 2.25 inches. Aftermarket cat backs are 2.5 to 3 inches. Typical horsepower gains are anywhere from 15 to 20 hp.

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
Or you could just replace the mufflers. I like the replacement Magnaflow mufflers. Or you could also go with some $15 Summit Super Turbo mufflers. (be sure and post a sound clip after that one because I'm curious about how that would sound)

Mine's still stock as well and I've been weighing the pros and cons of the exhaust setup.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
hmm, well how about this, u spend like 150 or 200 on an x pipe, without cats, and weld in some flows or borlas. whats so shitty about our cars, is that we have 4 cats in the mid pipe, the cats are what are really killing the sound. combine the 2 and u will get great sound.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
While the car is relatively new, i have no inclination to remove the cats from the car yet. Even though we have no inspections in the state where it would be necessary to keep them, but i leave that option open for the future should i decide to modify the car.

TrickStang37

Established Member
the mufflers are the bigger restriction when dealing with the catback. the stock mufflers pinch down to about 2". mufflers alone are usually 10-15 hp from what I've seen and the piping is 5-10hp.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I just bought a Bassani cat back off a guy and it was still too quiet so I had 1 camber flows put on way better, but for me I still need a catless x-pipe. You should go with two mufflers of your choice and a x or h after you hear the mufflers alone cause only you know how loud you want it.

Juruense

Banned
I took my car to a local muffler shop and had some Magnaflow mufflers welded in for $200, sounds great :D

Lord Warlock

Established Member
I'm kind of leaning toward this myself, race car loud is too much for me, just want it to make an idle sound i can hear a little exhaust. I have borlas on my turbo stealth and it sounds great but it would be too loud for me on this car. But my charger r/t with the 440 has two chrysler imperial sized mufflers on it and it sounds deep and menacing.

Users who are viewing this thread