Chalk Up Another Alternator Failure...

wlg101190

Established Member
Well my battery died about 8 days ago, so I thought that was it. I went and got a Duralast red top from Autozone, still have warranty by the way, and it died today! So, I can only assume it is my alternator. I was planning on getting another OEM one, but can't seem to find any online. Does anyone have any links? Another thing I was thinking, was to get it rebuilt. Is this a good idea? Thanks!

eclipsemustang

Established Member
personally i would go to a local car parts store that checks alternators first, given your car is newer than mine, last winter i thought my battery died so i changed that, then got my alternator checked and it was still fine, it ended up i had an electrical leak caused by my alarm system. just my .02

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
How many miles on your car? Also, does it have a smaller pulley on it? If so, what size?

Last edited:

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Dont have it rebuilt, just buy another OEM one. I have burnt through 2 rebuilds in 1 month.

I just found someone that went to a turbo setup and bought his, worked like a charm.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
A rebuild is fine as long as you only go to a reputable independent rebuilder. Don't buy a rebuilt unit off the shelf. Especially from Autozone. Tously has the best price on a stocker.

wlg101190

Established Member
35,000 miles on the car. It has 3.2" alt. pulley on it, with a 2.93 upper/4# lower. How much should an OEM run me new?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Click my sig and on my website there is a guy who builds some nice alts for these cars, plus a bit more output than the OEM.

homer302

Banned
Just a word to the wise, Sears, Walmart etc sell a Multimeter for $25 or less. All you have to do is touch 2 prongs to your battery while it is running and it will tell you if the car is charging or not. It takes more time to take the meter out of the box then to test it.
Now if you have a voltage drain such as an alarm that won't help at all but it will verify if you are charging or not.

Good Luck.

wlg101190

Established Member
Took it to Autozone to test the alternator while still in the car, and they said it obv. was not charging but they did not know if it was the alt. itself of the wires that go to the alt. Now I am in the process of pulling the alt. out. Two more bolts left!

homer302

Banned
Took it to Autozone to test the alternator while still in the car, and they said it obv. was not charging but they did not know if it was the alt. itself of the wires that go to the alt. Now I am in the process of pulling the alt. out. Two more bolts left!

you are going to the wrong store. They can't test an ALT in the car and say it works and then say it isn't charging at the same time.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty unlikely the wires/connections would completely stop the current flow. However the ground strap connection to the body (above alt) was corroded pretty bad on my car along with the primary wire connection to the post adapter. I recommend not using the post adapter and just connect the primary wire directly to the alt.

It's easy to know if you're alt is charging or not: when the car is running and your voltage is under 12V, it's not charging or the alt is not making enough power to keep up with current demand at that moment... either way not good.

wlg101190

Established Member
Well I have it all taken apart now, and can't get the damn alt. to fall out. All bolts are off and it is loose, and you obviously can not take it from the top of the car. Man it is a pain...

iflyagfour

Established Member
I replaced mine a couple months ago with a autozone alt. Lifetime warranty. If it ever goes out, bring it back, Ill never have to buy another one again. Just takes a couple hours of time.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I replaced mine a couple months ago with a autozone alt. Lifetime warranty. If it ever goes out, bring it back, Ill never have to buy another one again. Just takes a couple hours of time.

Which is good because with an Autozone alternator you will be changing it out again and again and again! :cuss:

spartansnake

gamao kotes
Established Member
i know it really doesnt matter all that much OP. As factory untouched cobras have alternator failures. But, with your 6lb lower you should be running a bigger alternator pulley then a 3.2. I would say 3.5. Just IMHO>

Users who are viewing this thread