Chain guid / tensioner question

Aaron175617

Established Member
I have an 03 HD F150 4 door that I have had since new and it now has about 180k miles on it. It has been a great truck up tell now with very little problems. In fact it still has the original sparkplugs, supercharger oil, and almost everything. I have changed the oil about every 8k miles and changed all the fluids at about 100k miles and the rotors. It has been a badass truck and it even did 14.01 in the ¼ at Firebird here in Phoenix. Anyway the truck still looks and runs great but it is starting to make some chain noise with cold starts and I think it is the tensioners and guides. Does anybody know how long these parts can last?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
They generally are done around 150K, we keep the replacement 5.4 Ford Kits in stock, they are $399 and include everything you need (guides, chains, sprockets, tensioners)

Let us know how we can help!

MMR
805 383 4130

Aaron175617

Established Member
Well I changed it all. That was a big job. It didn't need it either. The guides and tensioner arms had no more than .010 wear and the sprockets and chains had no noticeable wear or stretching. The old stuff had at least another 200k on them. I still have the noise. I am just going to wait tell something fails then fix it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
noise

glad to see someone else who drives a lot. i have an 03 cobra with 279k and was thinking about what else would make noise...

i get weird noises all the time during cold starts than some cold starts nothing:shrug:

i just had to replace dr side head and found i had some bad bearings in most of the pulleys , but i also noticed i have bad rubbers on the lower crank pulley.didnt see that when taken apart but see it now by movement in belts when engine is off.

we also thought about parting with ours cause of high miles,,,
while it was down 3months,we rented cars and looked into getting another vehicle,but decided to keep cobra and add xm radio

ours will break again as most of our car still has original parts on it

good luck on finding noise

Aaron175617

Established Member
279k miles wow you are 1/4+ the way there. I bought an 03 Cobra about two months ago with 18k miles, big fat whipple, some other nice clean mods and a head tick. The head tick bugged the hell out of the seller so he fire sold the car for $14k. The car is like new and I love the head tick because I wouldn't have the car otherwise. I guess it's kind of like a dairy farmer; everything around him smells like money to him but to the rest of us it all just stinks like shit.

hotcobra03

Established Member
279k miles wow you are 1/4+ the way there. I bought an 03 Cobra about two months ago with 18k miles, big fat whipple, some other nice clean mods and a head tick. The head tick bugged the hell out of the seller so he fire sold the car for $14k. The car is like new and I love the head tick because I wouldn't have the car otherwise. I guess it's kind of like a dairy farmer; everything around him smells like money to him but to the rest of us it all just stinks like shit.

it would be even more funny if your tick is from oilfilter

Users who are viewing this thread