CF clutch packs in a 2011 GT?

terminal5

Established Member
Hi folks,

Did all the 2011+ GTs come with carbon fiber clutch packs in the 8.8, or just Brembo or 3.73s, or what?

Looking to get some new clutches but only want to go with CF if that's what's already in there.

Thanks!

Mach828

Established Member
How come you wouldn't want to run carbon fiber if they came with steel originally? And did you burn up the stock diff?

terminal5

Established Member
I recall reading a few places that the CF clutches wear quicker? Std. clutches are probably easier to find locally and cheper as well.

Mine should be fine, but have some slop. May not replace all of them at once, or at all. Might just add an extra friction disk if there's room.

Basically I want to get the same type before I open it up again. And I'm just curious to know.

hand-filer

Established Member
They've been working just fine in my Harley for the last 15 years. Dynoed at 118 HP and rode hard all its life. I'd consider them for the dif.

01bluesnake

Established Member
My car is a Non Brembo and came with CF packs stock. I rebuilt the diff in it at around 2K through warranty and restacked them 4 wide using an extra from the original clutch pack. I ordered my repair clutch packs per the vin and the new ones were CF as well.

terminal5

Established Member
That's basically what I'm wanting to do, squeeze an extra clutch in there.

I read somewhere all S197s had CF, but I don't believe it. Also recall some marketing fuss about the 2010 Track Pack cars having CF like it was something special, so perhaps all 2011+ do in fact have them...

terminal5

Established Member
Just remembered this old thread, so I figured I'd update to offer some info...

Turns out my April '10 build 2011 Brembo, 3.73 diff DID NOT have CF clutches. Just the regular old paper kind. Could be an early build thing, but like o1bluesnake said, if you really want to be sure, best to check with your dealer by VIN.

Wasn't able to squeeze an extra friction plate in there anyway, only managed to shim the packs up by .020-.030". New box of CF clutches now "in stock"...

Users who are viewing this thread