Centrifugal S/C or Turbos

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Watching a lot of street racing videos of late, absolutely floored by all the bad ass rides running turbos or Centrifugal S/Cs. Those Centri's are super competitive, and seem to be a little less complicated to install.

If you were building a car for Mexico, which power adder would you choose and why?

nxhappy

Established Member
I built a centri mustang years ago. It was fun, made about 420whp. The low end sucked ass to be honest. After 3500 it was a rocket. My 03 cobra felt much faster. It's just hard to beat the instant punch of a positive displacement blower.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Turbo..........cuz.......
images(57).jpg

nxhappy

Established Member
I will say, every turbo car I had turned into a jug **** nightmare LOL
I'll stick with stock SC cars that can easily take a blower swap

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
If I were in Mexico tryna race, I'd probably choose a centri, then a turbo, then a PD blower. Lots easier to consistently get traction, though suspension and tuning can mitigate much of that.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I'm not in Mexico very often, but for a street car, it's hard to beat the Coyote/6R80/PD blower combination. If done right, they can be very powerful. If done right or wrong, you won't have to turn wrenches. Nothing sucks the fun out a hobby car like having to make constant repairs. Driveabilty is fantastic, too. It can be mild enough for grandma to drive or will try to rip your face off and anything in between. I took mine on a 500 mile road trip last month, to NMRA Bowling Green.

Here's mine:
d0165da360110c97ab4c1c33f6e9e80f.jpg
64c6bc3c62aa85e47f592a20a1963b74.jpg
855503697bebce338dd9ab58617c3d71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Aside from making the best sounds ever, turbo's have a tunability advantage.
Best sound ever is an opinion. The maps that turbos guys can switch to, are pretty cool. I'll say this, as I don't need to "spool up", I can make a 10 or even 9 second pass at part throttle. I can load a tune to pull 100, 200, 300+ rwhp in 1 minute with HP Tuners. I can change pulleys 2-3 minutes. Multiple ways to do it. My foot on the gas pedal is my personal favorite. Very easy.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Best sound ever is an opinion. The maps that turbos guys can switch to, are pretty cool. I'll say this, as I don't need to "spool up", I can make a 10 or even 9 second pass at part throttle. I can load a tune to pull 100, 200, 300+ rwhp in 1 minute with HP Tuners. I can change pulleys 2-3 minutes. Multiple ways to do it. My foot on the gas pedal is my personal favorite. Very easy.

ZomboMeme 16112020165051.jpg

Best sound ever is an opinion, my opinion.

Instead of pulling out power, you can also add power with tuning. You can adjust boost by gear/time, and my personal favorite is boosting on the transbrake.

To each their own.

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 16112020165051.jpg
    ZomboMeme 16112020165051.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 68

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
IMO, turbos are easier on the motor, and work great with automatics. I like blower powered stick cars. Fun to drive.

For road racing I'd rather have a blower. For the strip I'd hands down go big turbo automatic.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven everything but a turbo car so far in my life.

I would be hard pressed to go away from a P.D. blower. But between a centri and a turbo I would try out the turbo just for the on the fly boost/tuning ability

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
They both work great. The Torque is the main advantage to me with a Turbo. I make as much Torque on 93 pump gas with a Turbo then I see most guys making with E85 on a blower set up. Fuel efficiency is much better with a Turbo as well.

I think when ur in the 600-750 hp range u dont really need to change ur boost settings as its barely enough power to spin a good set of 276/60's. When u start making closer to a 1000 whp that is when boost control is paramount on the street imo. At the track everyone hooks.

Controlling a 1000+ hp on the street with no boost controller for me would simply be dangerous and not fun at all, as all I would do is spin the tire.

So I think it comes down to HP goals. Anything under 800 whp id say go blower as its much easier to install but my Turbo NEVER sees belt slip and NEVER gets heat soaked either but two each his own they both have their advantages.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I had a centri on my 2014, I was happy to take it off. I went with a VMP 3R and like it a lot. But if I could go back and do it all over again I wish I would've went with a twin Hellion kit.

Why I hated the centri: No torque. Lame on the street with a 6r80. You'd hit it and wait for that 2000 rpm of decent boost. And the BOV while neat the 1st month gets old real quick.

The PD is the safe choice. No pipes to cause false knock. Hit it and it instantly ducks out. It pulls everywhere. Reliable. I would drive it across country with nothing more than a spare belt and a few cans of octane booster for the 91 octane states.

But nothing hits like a properly set up turbo car.
Daily driver=PD
Weekend car= Turbo

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm really a centri guy at heart. When I first picked up my 04 I almost swapped the F1A I had sitting in the garage into it. IMO, the guys saying the centris lacked torque weren't spinning them hard. When they're only making 10psi or less, yeah, the low end isn't that great. I think 14psi was the magic number for me. At 19psi my torque graph looked like a PD set up. And it annihilated the tires like a PD blower. Sound is subjective. I loved my BOV and I enjoyed annoying dumb drivers with it.

For an all out stupid power build I would go turbos. While I hate dealing with the pipes and even passed up on a kit for my 01 Cobra because I didn't want the headache, it's hard to argue the tuneability. My dream set up right now is a turboed big block in a Galaxie 500.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
45FFE334-B0E1-4441-8295-A9E43489A48E.jpeg
My C7 Grand Sport goes in February to get this installed. D1X head unit. I’ve owned every type of forced induction. PD blowers are fun but I hated the noticeable heat soak. Turbo systems are a nightmare piping wise. I agree with the above statement about pulleying Centri blowers too. They make plenty of torque when spun hard.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
But if you had a new car like an N/A Corvette or Mustang GT, a bolt on Procharger kit must be a hell of a kick in the pants with minimal brain damage.

Vettes are interesting. Procharged Z06s can make a SHITTON of power but it does not translate into e/t all that well. I have heard guys complain that they feel slower than stock on the street because of the power curve.

Users who are viewing this thread