CELs a' poppin: Damn plastic intake pipe...

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Well, this is the second time this has happened on my '00 Lightning in the last year. On our intake snorkel between the MAF and throttle body, there are two plastic-ish tubes that connect on the bottom side of the snorkel.

Amazingly...they are pressure fittings. There is no clamp or anything positively holding them in there. Last year, I threw a CEL and the SVT dealer found one of the two tubes had come loose, letting in unmetered air between the MAF and TB.

Which is why the code was for running lean on both banks of cylinders.

Today, it happened again. Although this time, the tube really didn't come all the way loose.

My point: We need a GOOD solid intake pipe to go between the MAF and TB with SOLID connections for the two tubes on the bottom side. Ford did everything in plastic with no clamps or anything.

Any word/pics on the JDM tube that is in the R&D stage? This thing is driving me crazy.

Sorry to rant. Anybody else had this happen to them?

camcojb

Established Member
It's on the intake side, no pressure/vacuum involved. I would have thought there would be no need for clamps either. Never had an issue with mine.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Originally posted by camcojb
It's on the intake side, no pressure/vacuum involved. I would have thought there would be no need for clamps either. Never had an issue with mine.

Same here. However...the larger of the two tubes is held in merely by pressure. Plastic tube slides into the rubber intake snorkel. Not the most positive seal in an area that REALLY needs it, IMHO.

Apparently, vibration alone is enough to wiggle this tube loose.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
no pressure there
never had mine come out if i didnt want them to
to me what a pain in the ass to put in i dont see how they would just come out

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
They don't even have to come out of the rubber intake snorkel to throw the CEL, either. Just a little air leak is all it takes to light off the 'Lean Bank 1' and 'Lean Bank 2' light.

I'm going to attack the area and try to make a more leak-proof seal around that plastic tube. It's driving me nuts.

F.A.T.

Established Member
Cool dude, my CEL has been on for over a year now and i cant figure it out.
I have had problems with the same area on my intake also.
Ill have to try a few things also.
SEE YA!!!!!!!!

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Hook up an OBD 2 scan tool to MAKE sure your CEL is throwing that specific code (Lean Bank 1, Lean Bank 2).

MonkeyZone (AutoZone), Pep Boyz, etc. can all do a scan for codes on your car, free of charge.

F.A.T.

Established Member
1 and 2 are causing my CEL, i have high flow cats
and a breather cap, tried the stock cap and it didnt go away.
I figure its the high flow cats screwing up the computer, i can unhook the battery and it will stay off for about 3 days befor its on again.
SEE YA!!

superford

Established Member
chances are that you have oil in your intake tube from the pcv system that has lubed up the rubber grommets and the plastic tubes that fit into the intake tube. if the rubber is clean and dry you should not have any problems with the tubes falling out.

take care of that and your problem is solved.

of course, it's also possible that after years of oil sitting on the rubber, that the rubber has actually been affected, it can shrink, expand, or just lose it's proper shape in general due to contact with used engine oil.

but I'd just try cleaning the stuff up first.

P.S. you don't have a phenolic spacer do you? that could put more tension on the hoses due to the higher location of the throttle body.

good luck.

later,
chris

Last edited:

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Good points, Chris. I agree that it is most likely the oil blow-by causing all this. I just can't believe that Ford used no clamps or any method at all to secure the PCV tube to the intake snorkel.

I am going to use some rubber material wrapped around the PCV tube to add some tension to the end of the tube.

I don't have a phenolic spacer.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
thats it man you jinxed me
now my truck is throwing the code lean banks 1 and 2
damn you !!!:mj:
ok so tomorrow i will clean out my tube when i install my new plugs
hey chris (superfords) could this be caused by the dime mod as well???
i did this about a week and a half ago and now i have this code
just thought i would ask

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Sorry about that. I cleaned the snorkel tube and all the others out really well when I installed my Airaid CAI last night.

No CEL light, so far. Fingers crossed.

Clean yours out, Mike, and reset the ECU.

Users who are viewing this thread