Cell phone talk... iPhone 5s vs Galaxy Note 3??? Opinions please!!!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Well fellas,
I've been a loyal iPhone user since they released their 3GS model years ago. I personally love the iPhone. However, I am up due for a contract renewal and I'm tempted to venture outside of the box and try the new Galaxy Note 3 as I hear the specs on it are pretty amazing not to mention the screen is significantly larger. I do watch a lot of videos (YouTube primarily) and I spend a lot of time on the forums so the larger screen would be nice. I'm not too familiar with the Android operating system though and when I played with one at the store (demo model), I felt lost and decided to trade in my 4S to get the 64 gig iPhone 5S as my upgrade because that's what I was used to using. I have 15 days they said to change my mind if I decide I'd rather have the Note 3.

I'm on day 7 and this 5S is pretty cool. Its much faster, the screen is a little bigger than my 4S, the finger print recognition is awesome and the camera is noticeably better than my old phone. Def a worthy upgrade! But... Before I reach my 15 day limit, I'm doing a little research to figure out if the Note 3 is worth a second look.

One of my main concerns is the overall size of the phone and if it would be practical to carry? My iPhone is a nice size and fits in my pocket easily. The Note 3 is a good bit bigger overall. My next concern is that I own and use a MacBook Pro for my computer and I also have an iPad mini so being a dedicated apple user, I'm curious if the note 3 would be able to sync and share music, videos, pictures, etc as easily between devices as my iPhone can? I use my phone for my iPod at the gym and I store all my pictures and videos on it so the 64gig is nice. The Note 3 comes standard as a 32 gig but you can buy SD cards for more memory. The 32 gig iPhone is $299 and the Note 3 is also $299 so same price. The 64gig iPhone is $399 and by the time you add the SD card cost to the Note, its pretty close to the same... Maybe slightly less.

Specs wise, the Note 3 seems to have a little better camera, the HD screen and some other fancy functions the iPhone doesn't but as a user, is it really a better phone than the iPhone?

So... If you've used one or the other or both, what is your opinion?

Trying to decide if I should stick to the 5S I'm used to or venture out and try the Note 3 even if it takes some getting used to as far as operating it.

Thanks fellas!!

Last edited:

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
iam using note3 now. I had iphone5s before but didnt like it. Screen too small for me. I love doing big thing, big boobs, etc. hahhah I have big hand so size dont matter. note3 are very fast and the screen looks awesome. Video and youtube are great and fast too.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I have had and used both. Completely two different phones and hard to compare the two. The note 3 is a much better phone feature wise and spec wise than the iphone. It's got a TON of badass features and is a truly awesome phone. The iPhone is also a good phone in its own regards but not completely on the same level.

The note will sync with your itunes with a number of different apps.

I went with the 5s btw, but my reasoning behind it is, the iPhones hold their value so well, I could trade it for a note 3 in a few months if I want to.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
the other advantage the iphone over samsung is that its hard to get virus whereas if u online with the samsung it might easily get infected and mess up the phone or slow the phone down. And the iphone hold its value better than the rest too. And last longer too especially the battery. It battery might last like 5 year compare with samsung 3 year.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
I like mine note3 now but when i walk on the street and answer the phone, i feel kinda embarass maybe because of it huge size. If i would do it again, i would buy an gold color iphone 5S.

mig4236

Established Member
My gf has a iPhone 5 and its ok. I wasnt impressed with it.I have a note 3 and love it. Its kind of big but i got used to it.For me all the iphones feel the same Imo. From 1st gen to present. Plus I think theres a app to transfer music, pics, ect through iTunes on your note 3.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I just made the jump from the 4s to the Note 3. Just do it! I loved my iPhones when I had them, but they've become pretty stale. The hardware and build quality is second to none, but that's about all it's got going for it anymore.

The Note 3 does everything my old iPhone did just as easy, but then has a tone of added features on top of that. I downloaded easy sync and that lets me keep my itunes library on this phone with ease. Once I figured out I could do that, it was a no brainer to make the switch.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the other advantage the iphone over samsung is that its hard to get virus whereas if u online with the samsung it might easily get infected and mess up the phone or slow the phone down. And the iphone hold its value better than the rest too. And last longer too especially the battery. It battery might last like 5 year compare with samsung 3 year.

lol @ getting a virus on an android device. And even if you did, you would have a huge community of info on how to deal with an issue like that. But id imagine the only ones with this issue are hardcore guys that sideload shitty 3rd world apps.

Both flagship samsungs hold their value equal to the current 2 generations iphones.

Battery is a point but who is keeping their phones to the 3yr mark? Do you know of anyone with a 3g iphone? Neither do I, nor do I know anyone rocking a Galaxy S2, or a launch droid or whatnot. Most users have their phones for as long as their contracts go for.

HandBanana

Established Member
Do you know of anyone with a 3g iphone? Neither do I, nor do I know anyone rocking a Galaxy S2, or a launch droid or whatnot. Most users have their phones for as long as their contracts go for.

I do know two people that have original iPhones. Still going strong. I'll agree that the iPhones are boring compared to all the features of the constantly innovating Galaxy and Note but nothing can take away from how crappy the Android OS is, IMO.

Keep the 5s OP. Unless you feel like replacing your Note 3 every 6 months. My sister is already on her second one after having the phone for 3 weeks. :rollseyes

04svtterm

Established Member
Ive got both and as user friendly as the IPhone is, i tend you use the note 3 more. Love the size and overall feel of the phone. Performance/processor wise i feel like both phones are the same.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
I used to have the galaxy s1 and after a year sometimes it froze up. The gps keep on searching when i really need it most. When first got it, its pretty fast phone , after a year or 2 , the phone become really slow. I dont think anybody use it right now.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Wow! I didn't think I'd get so many responses this fast! lol awesome!

You guys are making it a tough choice. Lol I'm loving this 5S so far. Biggest perk is that it fits in the top pocket on my coveralls here at work with ease. The Note 3 would have to be in my side pocket if its even comfortable there. lol

Good to know about the app for keeping my iTunes with the Note! I didn't know they had something like that and that was a major concern for me. Now I guess its just the size thing. Of course the Note would be my preference for the huge screen and the other cool extras but it comes at the expense of pocket space. Lol and durability is another thing I was worried about. I've had very few problems with my iPhone from day 1 and that impresses me. I had a speaker go out on one and apple replaced it no questions asked. That's it. If the Note has issues, that may be the deciding factor for me right there.

The LTE network on his phone is super fast. Granted... Its only in certain places but I'd say I have it 90% of the time. Otherwise, its 4G which is still pretty quick but a little slower in comparison. That's my biggest pet peeve is a slow phone. I hate clicking a link and waiting awhile for it to open. Wasn't sure if the Note was equally as fast as the LTE network on this phone or not.

I have about a week to make up my mind before I'm stuck with this thing. I'm not a big fan of the gold finish. I'd probably get it if I could find one in stock around here for the rarity, because it would hold its value better and because I have a case on it anyway but my personal preference is the slate grey/black that I have now.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Good to know about the app for keeping my iTunes with the Note! I didn't know they had something like that and that was a major concern for me. Now I guess its just the size thing. Of course the Note would be my preference for the huge screen and the other cool extras but it comes at the expense of pocket space. Lol and durability is another thing I was worried about. I've had very few problems with my iPhone from day 1 and that impresses me. I had a speaker go out on one and apple replaced it no questions asked. That's it. If the Note has issues, that may be the deciding factor for me right there.

This was my biggest concern as well. I have to have my library with me at all times. It should be mentioned however that you'll lose any of your songs that still have DRM on them. To fix that you can purchase iTunes Match and convert all your DRM based files to non DRM. That will then allow all of your music on the note.

In regards to the size, you get used to it pretty quickly. Now when I pick up an iPhone it feels comically small.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
This was my biggest concern as well. I have to have my library with me at all times. It should be mentioned however that you'll lose any of your songs that still have DRM on them. To fix that you can purchase iTunes Match and convert all your DRM based files to non DRM. That will then allow all of your music on the note.

In regards to the size, you get used to it pretty quickly. Now when I pick up an iPhone it feels comically small.

I'm not even sure what DRM means lol but if there's a fix for it, I suppose I can figure that out and get it working if I do go Note 3. As long as I don't lose my music... I can handle some minor converting to make it work.

And I know what u mean. The iPhone feels normal to me and my buddies Note 2 is huge in my hand so obviously it would be the other way around for him. He swears by the Note and says its a no brainer but he's always been an android guy. Hard to go off his opinion alone.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member

never had a virus on my andriod phones. ever.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm not even sure what DRM means lol but if there's a fix for it, I suppose I can figure that out and get it working if I do go Note 3. As long as I don't lose my music... I can handle some minor converting to make it work.

And I know what u mean. The iPhone feels normal to me and my buddies Note 2 is huge in my hand so obviously it would be the other way around for him. He swears by the Note and says its a no brainer but he's always been an android guy. Hard to go off his opinion alone.

The phone is definitely big. You'll feel it in your pocket for a week or so. Especially if you wear tighter pants. You do get used to it though.

DRM is digital rights management. It's a tag that gets placed on the metadata of digital files that will allow the file to be used or played on a specific device. In the case of iTunes, only iDevices and computers authorized under your iTunes account. Anything purchased through iTunes older than about a year or so may have DRM on it. If that's the case to convert it, you'll need to get a subscription to iTunes Match and redownload the non DRM files. All music on iTunes is DRM free as of about a year to year and a half ago. Anything that you've downloaded elsewhere on the internet or inported from CD in to your iTunes library will be DRM free.

Users who are viewing this thread