CEL code...need help.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
I have been getting a couple CEL codes lately and need to figure out where exactly the problem is coming from without taking it to the dealership. The codes are as follows:

P1151 - o2 lean
P1152 - o2 rich H02S21
P0155 - o2 heater circuit (bank2, sensor 1)

I know the first two are the o2 sensors on the exhaust but how do I find out which o2 sensors are bad? and I really have no idea what the last CEL code is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also had a CEL code for the IMRCs but it hasn't come back. Would it just be easiest to delete the IMRCs or try and fix them?

Thanks,

Matt

JSPajak

Established Member
I would start by cleaning your mass air flow sensor. Disconnect and then reconnect the battery to reset the computer. It fixed my similar code problems on my 98 Cobra.

Make sure you use the specific mass air flow cleaner; about $6 from any parts store Anything else may damage the unit.

Last edited:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Swap O2 pass front with O2 drivers front and clear the codes by taking off the batt +
then see if the codes come back on bank one. If so...bad ok...if not you will need to dig deeper but let us know and we can go on.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
^^^ that seems like alot of work to do just to see if it comes back on. I dont have a lift or anything to really get under the car.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
I was just saying there has to be another way to figure it out besides that...I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Trust me.

aloo1

Established Member
i had the first 2 codes. when and got new nkg ones....no workie.... got motocraft and the codes went away for a couple days. then came back. all and all turned out to be a vac. leak around my IMRC plate. could be another issue.
good luck,
alan

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
i had the first 2 codes. when and got new nkg ones....no workie.... got motocraft and the codes went away for a couple days. then came back. all and all turned out to be a vac. leak around my IMRC plate. could be another issue.
good luck,
alan

How did you find out there was a leak and how'd you fix it?

mach1197203

Dr Frankenstein
Established Member
I have been getting a couple CEL codes lately and need to figure out where exactly the problem is coming from without taking it to the dealership. The codes are as follows:

P1151 - o2 lean
P1152 - o2 rich H02S21
P0155 - o2 heater circuit (bank2, sensor 1)

I know the first two are the o2 sensors on the exhaust but how do I find out which o2 sensors are bad? and I really have no idea what the last CEL code is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also had a CEL code for the IMRCs but it hasn't come back. Would it just be easiest to delete the IMRCs or try and fix them?

Thanks,

Matt

All three of those codes are for bank 2 sensor 1. The biggest one that should jump out to you is the last one pointing to the heater circuit. You need to change the front driverside sensor it is toasted. Be prepared to be changing the passanger side soon, one goes the rest tend to follow.
G/L

aloo1

Established Member
i had it smoke tested and just did imrc deletes and problem was fixed. without a proper smoke test it's pretty hard to find some leaks that will throw codes b/c of all the unmetered air.
good luck,
alan

NoRdO

Established Member
^^^ thanks, much appreciated. Do you know what the heater core code is for exactly?

Two of the wires on every O2 sensor are the heater circuit. There is an element in every O2 sensor that heats it up when your car is cold. The O2 sensor needs to be at proper operating temperature before it can read properly. When this code is thrown, the heating element in the sensor has probably gone bad and the sensor will need to be replaced. There could also be a problem with the wiring harness but I find this unlikely in your case. If your PCM detects that the sensor isn't warming up quickly enough, it will throw this code. Once the engine is warm, it doesn't matter if the heating element works or not as the heat from the exhaust makes the sensor heat up. This is all done in order to increase efficiency and reduce emissions.

I hope this answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread