CEL Came on 1 Mile from work...should I be worried

swallent

Established Member
Hey gang settle me down here cause I am paranoid. Was just cruising in traffic on my way to work and the CEL came on litterally one mile from the parking lot. A quick check over the gauges indicate that oil pressure was great at about 80 PSI (mechanical autometer gauge not dumb gauge) temp was great...no boost radio not on no knocking ect. So I baby it to work and get out to inspect. its idling fine...nothing leaking...no knocking.

Sooo here is my dilema...Im pretty sure its an O2 sensor at this point. I work in a part of detroit thats safe enough to bring the car but if I venture to far from the area its not safe. do I tow it home? or drive it home...settle me down here....

After a thourough inspection I did a little pull with boost (and not full 6 PSI just a tiny stab...I hit 4 according to my gauge) to see if it was knocking...shocking to me that car was running better/stonger now :??:

swallent

Established Member
I should add that I have SCT scanner...at home damn it...so I cant see the code...and Im not taking my car around the ghetto looking for a garage with a scanner

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I wouldn't worry...atleast you know your CEL still works!

Sometimes stupid random things will trip the light..disconnect your negative terminal for two minutes and see if it comes back

swallent

Established Member
I wouldn't worry...atleast you know your CEL still works!

Sometimes stupid random things will trip the light..disconnect your negative terminal for two minutes and see if it comes back

Shew OK cool...thanks for putting me at ease. Only think I kept thinking was man she was just running so good! I forgot about pulling the nex battery term. I will ask the maintenance crew if they have a wrench.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
If you don't hear any weird sounds, see any smoke, run too hot, etc, drive it. There are thousands of cars out there that have been running with the CEL on for years.. including my wife's Cobra (previous owner did the black tape behind the dash overlay trick, who knows how long that junk's been on).

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I wouldnt worry about it, drive it home and see what the code is, Ihave a code fro my SAI that needs to get turned off, I check it every so often to make sure no other codes have popped up though

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
i took my cel bulb out it was annoying me so much lol
i've checked it and know it just my 02's throwing codes (no cats) so no worries

luke87gt

Established Member
With all due respect, what is anyone here going to possibly tell you before you pull the codes yourself? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread