CEL and don't know what it is HELP!!!

01whiteL

Established Member
P1450 - Unable to Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum Monitors the fuel vapor vacuum and pressure in the fuel tank. The system failure occurs when the EVAP running loss monitor detects excessive fuel tank vacuum with the engine running (but not at idle). Blockages or kinks in EVAP canister tube or EVAP canister purge outlet tube (between fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and EVAP canister)
Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief)
Contaminated fuel vapor elbow on EVAP canister
Restricted EVAP canister
CV solenoid stuck open (partially or fully)
Plugged CV solenoid filter
EVAP canister purge valve stuck open
VREF circuit open (harness near FTP sensor, FTP sensor or PCM)
Damaged FTP sensor

Along with the 1506-IAC ovrspd, IAC was replaced brand new last week and have been fighting a fuel pressure issue or so we thought. Now it's throwing the code AGAIN.

Can anyone help?:whine::whine::whine:

Truck over 8lb's or so of boost(almost 1/2 throttle) will fall on it's face, a very heavy stumble. Spark plugs, coil packs, fuel filter were all replaced friday. 2 of the front plugs had burnt the electrode off, and porcelain also was chipped.... being as it just got tuned last week and showed no signs at all of a problem until after I'm lost. (Went from the whipple back to a stock eaton 2.80 upper/8#lower)

If you pop the throttle hard into the stall the truck will "pop" (like a firecracker in the exhaust). I've driven it maybe 5-10 miles since it began acting up, 2 of those being after the coil packs etc to see if it fixe the issue. NO smoke coming out of the tips at all and the a/f according the gauge stays where it should cruising. Havent got a chance to see what it does under any throttle because honestly I'm afraid to do it.

01whiteL

Established Member
does it Idle fine or is it a rough idle? or only acts up when you put a load on the engine?

It is actually idling somewhat high, which I know is the IAC but being the thing is new I'm stumped there. In D it idles too low and being the cams in the truck are not exactly small it surges if you just let off the brake to move forward.

It only falls on its face under boost anything above 5-8 psi.....

Is there something I'm missing? I've checked every vacuum line I can see/feel an theres nothing extra floating around.

Could this CEL be a failure of a fuel pump possibly? Along with if the IAC is brand new why would it be throwing the code yet again....

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
I had this issue (didn't throw that code though). It felt the same, though. Any sort of boost and my truck fell flat on it's face and stuttered and bogged a bunch. Ended up being the fuel pumps were toast. They were idling around 10psi and when we revved it, the pressure DROPPED to 8psi. It's definitely worth hooking up a gauge to both of the rails and seeing what's going on.

01whiteL

Established Member
I had this issue (didn't throw that code though). It felt the same, though. Any sort of boost and my truck fell flat on it's face and stuttered and bogged a bunch. Ended up being the fuel pumps were toast. They were idling around 10psi and when we revved it, the pressure DROPPED to 8psi. It's definitely worth hooking up a gauge to both of the rails and seeing what's going on.

Already did this and it showed 37-38psi at idle and when revved jumped to 60. I was thinking it was a fuel pump..... maybe it's time to drop the tank.

01whiteL

Established Member
Gared, you don't have a FP gauge?

No sir', just the wideband. We hooked a gauge up to the rails to test and it was fine and idle and when we jumped the throttle everything looked good.

Does one pump run one side of the block adn one pump the other?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The EVAP system is what has the issue not the fuel system.

The code is not for fuel system (fuel line) pressure but the actual pressure inside the fuel tank itself before it gets pumped into the fuel lines. The fuel tank pressure is regulated for emissions control.

It sounds like a faulty VMV or Canister Purge Valve. The easiest way to tell is more than likely going to involve taking it to a Ford shop and have them run an EVAP test on the truck. EVAP issues are normally a pain in the ass to find and the EVAP system might need to be smoked to find the issue. If you take it into the dealer, make sure you have half a tank of gas it in. The fuel level needs to be between 15% to 85% to run the EVAP system test.

01whiteL

Established Member
The EVAP system is what has the issue not the fuel system.

The code is not for fuel system (fuel line) pressure but the actual pressure inside the fuel tank itself before it gets pumped into the fuel lines. The fuel tank pressure is regulated for emissions control.

It sounds like a faulty VMV or Canister Purge Valve. The easiest way to tell is more than likely going to involve taking it to a Ford shop and have them run an EVAP test on the truck. EVAP issues are normally a pain in the ass to find and the EVAP system might need to be smoked to find the issue. If you take it into the dealer, make sure you have half a tank of gas it in. The fuel level needs to be between 15% to 85% to run the EVAP system test.

What all is included in the EVAP system? Wellll looks like some phonecalls will be made come monday lol...

Thankyou very much for your reply!

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The EVAP system kind of piggy backs the fuel system. It is designed to keep the fuel system sealed up to avoid evaporation of fuel vapors into the atmosphere and to keep the fuel tank at a regulated internal pressure.

There are a lot of components that effect it's operation.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
Evap system is a separate system.. the system runs a self test and throws this code when the system is out of range.. first the system is made up of fuel tank, evap lines, ftp sensor, vapor mamagement valve, and a canister vent valve and solonoid. they system pulls a vacuum on your fuel tank and the FTP sensor reads the voltage from the sensor.. the system then measures the rate of voltage change to determine if there is a leak. apparently your system is not able to bleed off the system after it has pulled vacuum which means your canister vent solonoid is either sticking, damaged, failed, or a pcm failure reporting a false code.. If you get spider webs, dirt, etc.. in the vent tube it can cause this... check your canister vent solonoid, it is located above the spare tire on the side of the canister.... hope this helps some...

Edit: I just noticed you are in Tomball... are you in HALO???

Last edited:

01whiteL

Established Member
Evap system is a separate system.. the system runs a self test and throws this code when the system is out of range.. first the system is made up of fuel tank, evap lines, ftp sensor, vapor mamagement valve, and a canister vent valve and solonoid. they system pulls a vacuum on your fuel tank and the FTP sensor reads the voltage from the sensor.. the system then measures the rate of voltage change to determine if there is a leak. apparently your system is not able to bleed off the system after it has pulled vacuum which means your canister vent solonoid is either sticking, damaged, failed, or a pcm failure reporting a false code.. If you get spider webs, dirt, etc.. in the vent tube it can cause this... check your canister vent solonoid, it is located above the spare tire on the side of the canister.... hope this helps some...

Edit: I just noticed you are in Tomball... are you in HALO???

Yes I am! You have a PM.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
both pumps run at the same time and feed the motor together....the voltage dropping resistor (located above the IC pump, on the same bracket) reduces the voltage to the pumps under normal driving conditons....SOmewhere around 7v. When the Truck is placed under Load/Wot conditions the PCM will see this and then trip the Hi/Lo fuel pump relay, which bypasses the fuel pump voltage dropping resistor, applying full voltage to both pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread