CD install help

mustangrmyk

Mustang Maniac
Established Member
I have a '96 with a Mach 460 system and no CD player. I got a Ford Mach CD changer on Ebay. Now it looks like the wiring is not there to install it. My Ford dealer says there is no harness available to add the CD and that I have to buy a complete harness that goes from the dash to the trunk. It's $400! :bs:

Do any of you know of a Ford harness part number or something aftermarket that will work without cutting everything up? :shrug:

Thanks.

white98snake

Established Member
im not sure man, y didnt u just get an aftermarket head unit and have best buy or someone like that install it they usually give free installation when u buy it their

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
There is a place called Wilson's Ford Salvage here in Oklahoma City that will sell you a wire harness. I am out of town or I'd post their phone number for you. The area code is 405 and they are on Shields Blvd. Call information and get the number. I bought some used Mach 460 amps from them about a year ago.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Personally, I find it hard to believe the wiring for the CD isn't there. The harness for it is connected to the radio harness, and if the CD portion is disconnected, the radio won't work. Someone probably bought a kit to bypass the CD harness.

Anyway, Best Buy, or any other stereo shop should have a universal harness to get you running ..

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I agree Dano, I would think the OEM harness would have plugs to "add the CD" player at the dealer if somoene wanted to. Maybe its tucked away somewhere, or someone else can confirm this.

Did you pull the shifter & radio bezel off and look in there?

green99_svt

Established Member
there is a 1 foot long data cable that runs from the cd to the factory headunit. that wire is not there unless factory equipped with the cd. from the factory it is taped into the dash harness. what you will need to do is go junking or look on ebay for the cd data cable and cut it out of the harness.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Just adding a cd player all you need is that data cable, it goes from the factory tape deck/radio to the cd player. If you doing a Cd Changer, you will need those cables, but at $400 its not worth it. You could have gotten an aftermarket CD Changer for $150ish. If you want the changer, I would put the changer back up on Ebay and get a nice alpine or pioneer changer. Thats just me though.

mustangrmyk

Mustang Maniac
Established Member
Thanks guys, we're all pretty much on the same page. It does look like a small harness goes from the head unit to the deck. BTW, I'm the original owner, so nobody has been in there hacking around.

The dealer is no help. I guess they never added a factory player to a car. HA!

torchred2000gt

Established Member
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket headunit because no one makes one that looks decent. They all look like some kind of contraption from Star Trek with LED's and flashing lights everywhere. I like the factory look since the rest of the interior is also factor. I think it's an eyesore when you have the aftermarket headunit and the rest of the car is clean.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread