CD error

AlloyPony

Established Member
The Mach 1 I just bought has the factory 6 disc CD changer in it. The screen flashes "CD Error" and won't play or eject anything. The guy I bought it from said that his daughter put one of those small CDs into it years ago and it got jammed and hasn't worked since. Is there a way to eject this without destroying the unit? I'd like to get it working again if possible but I don't want to spend money on it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would imagine you could find directions to take it apart, if you break it you arent out anything. They also do this when theres something else wrong.

AlloyPony

Established Member
OK. I also found another thread that discussed using various methods to reach inside and push down on the disc, which usually allows it to eject the discs. Thanks guys.

AlloyPony

Established Member
I ended up taking the disc changer out of the car, opening it up, and retrieving the CDs that were jammed inside. I put it all back together properly and installed it back in the car and it went through it's "initializing" phase but then showed "CD error" again.

I had an aftermarket touch screen unit in my '01 but hated it. It's hard to get aftermarket systems to sound good with the Mach 460 audio speakers because of the Ohm and wiring differences with the factory stuff. The OE radio sounds SO much better. So I guess I'll leave it for now and just enjoy AM/FM. :)

Sluggie24

Established Member
I agree that an aftermarket radio doesn't sound quite right in these. Put a really good touch screen in my son's 03 GT with an install harness system from crutchfield (so he would have nav, Bluetooth music and hands free) and although he likes it, to me it sounds "off" no matter what adjustments I make. The highs seem to be the problem.

Meanwhile my 04 GT has an aftermarket touch screen AND an aftermarket amp and speakers and sounds correct.

I think the key for proper sound might just be replacing everything in the system which gets pricey. Luckily I bought mine this way.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Take the top of the changer unit off then reassemble without the top on. Plug it in to the car not mounted and hit some buttons. You can sometimes see where the mechanism is getting stuck. Worked for me a few times before it totally gave out. If it's shot add an AUX box via the tutorials on here or an aftermarket box that pigtails into the rear mount via the optional rear charger feature and use your phone like it's 2018. Think there are Bluetooth options now too.

macuser27

Established Member
I had an aftermarket touch screen unit in my '01 but hated it. It's hard to get aftermarket systems to sound good with the Mach 460 audio speakers because of the Ohm and wiring differences with the factory stuff. The OE radio sounds SO much better. So I guess I'll leave it for now and just enjoy AM/FM. :)

When the CD player in mine died, I went with an iSimple is31. It plugs into the back of the radio and gives you RCA inputs.
9010141c-5ce1-43f2-9f77-7bc5cfa3e0ef_1.6036c919c6adb672236e9450425bc46d.jpg

Then using an RCA to 3.5mm cable, you can plug in an iPod, iPhone, Discman, etc. and keep your OEM head unit, amp and speakers. Cheap and easy.
MUXMMRCA.Main.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread