CCW Permit question

toofastcomet

Established Member
State of Alabama. I keep a pistol in my car and I have a concealed carry permit.
Should I leave my wife in the car momentarily in a parking lot (with the gun in car) and she feel the need to display it or even fire it (lets assume no one is actually injured), what would happen to her or myself as the gun is in my name, in a car that's in my name, and she doesn't have a CCW for herself?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
State of Alabama. I keep a pistol in my car and I have a concealed carry permit.
Should I leave my wife in the car momentarily in a parking lot (with the gun in car) and she feel the need to display it or even fire it (lets assume no one is actually injured), what would happen to her or myself as the gun is in my name, in a car that's in my name, and she doesn't have a CCW for herself?

Here is Alabama's law on automobile carry of a firearm.

Automobile carry:
It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:
1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.
2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.
3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

The answer is your wife would be in violation of Alabama's CCW law. Further, if you or your wife feels the need to "display" a firearm you better be sure it was a "shoot/dont shoot" situation or you can be charged with brandishing a firearm. You are not allowed to "display" your firearm, even with a ccw, because you want to scare off someone or you feel scared. If that firearm comes out it best be because you reasonably believe you need to use it because you are under immediate threat of the serious bodily injury or death.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
If its momentarily you are fine but she could be in violation, she shouldnt display the firearm unless she is going to have to fire it. To be on the safe side I'd recommend either keeping it with you at all times, or have her get a CCW(Not hard to get in bama as you know). Without a CCW she can have a firearm in the car, but there are certain ways it has to be carried(e.g. gun in a case, ammunition in a seperate part of the vehicle not in close proximity to the firearm)

Like I said before though, have her get a CCW just to be on the safe side

Last edited:

toofastcomet

Established Member
My county charges $12 for a CCW permit and you can apply through snailmail (don't even have to show up in person!). It's ridiculously easy.

Thanks for the tips; definitely will have her get one.

Users who are viewing this thread