CCW Leaking from seal (help)

Cody M

Established Member
I don’t know what the exact state of your wheel is in, but if it were me I would break it down til it looks like the picture I posted. Split the barrel and clean off any and all silicone and reseal it. The silicone goes in between the 2 halves of the barrel. There should be no silicone touching the face of the wheel.

You can try and pop the air bubbles with a razor blade while the silicone is still wet. If it hardens then you need to start over. The process is a real pain in the dick.
So i just got done resealing it and its leaking again thats why i was asking. If i reseal the barrel again, should i torque the bolts first then apply the silicone in between the barrels or hand tighten them, apply silicone and then torque to spec? I just figured maybe tightening the barrel first then applying silicone would help eliminate any air bubbles

Cody M

Established Member
And last thing is, the silicone I'm using is the Dow 732, just want to make sure this one is good to use, I chose it because of 2 forms I found recommending it.

1FastFord

Established Member
After seeing this process, glad I sent it to them to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what a nightmare after paying that much and waiting so long

I'll stick to my cheap ass wheels, to quote Eazy-E - I'll throw it in the gutter and go buy another

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Just seems wrong to have this much trouble with a high end wheel, I could understand it if it was a cheap Chinese knock off but not a CCW that is supposed to be top of the range for wheels. I would send it back and tell them I want a new wheel that doesn’t leak.

Cody M

Established Member
Just seems wrong to have this much trouble with a high end wheel, I could understand it if it was a cheap Chinese knock off but not a CCW that is supposed to be top of the range for wheels. I would send it back and tell them I want a new wheel that doesn’t leak.
Yeah trust me I know, but it is what it is and honestly their customer service after weld bought them out is so bad

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Yeah trust me I know, but it is what it is and honestly their customer service after weld bought them out is so bad
I am sorry to hear you got burnt on this deal. Hope it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction. You seem to be a lot more relaxed with the situation than I would be. Congrats for keeping your cool.

LS WUT

Established Member
I am sorry to hear you got burnt on this deal. Hope it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction. You seem to be a lot more relaxed with the situation than I would be. Congrats for keeping your cool.
Yeah man he’s been extremely level headed. If I just dropped $5,500 for my rims to be leaking I’d be losing my shit. Ain’t no way in hell..

efnfast

Established Member
View attachment 1834109
I bet your issue is there wasn’t enough silicone. Put some in the same pattern as you can see in my professional drawing. As I stated before, once you squish the 2 pieces together the silicone will squeeze out of the sides and you just have to run a finger around the wheel to smooth/seal it up. And you smooth it out with your finger after you torque it down. You have to do this quickly before the silicone dries so make sure you have everything organized so you can hammer it out.

I'm not familiar with the design of the CCWs but I've never applied sealent on that mating surface ..... you're only supposed to bolt the barrels together then seal on the outside surface. Not saying you don't with CCWs, but given OP didn't find any silicone there I don't think you need it there.

I know very little about their construction, but wouldn’t you think that CCW would perform a pressurized leak check on every wheel prior to shipment?

Wouldn't matter - it's possible for anything to cause the seal to break and start leaking. Mount/de-mount the tire too aggressively; hit the wheel to hard at the wrong angle, etc.

Multi-piece rims suck.

And last thing is, the silicone I'm using is the Dow 732, just want to make sure this one is good to use, I chose it because of 2 forms I found recommending it.

832 would be better.

It could also come down to just bad luck. I once had to re-seal a 3-piece rim 3 times before it held. Not sure why the first two times it failed to hold because I didn't do anything, but sometimes rims can be a SOB to seal

Cody M

Established Member
I'm not familiar with the design of the CCWs but I've never applied sealent on that mating surface ..... you're only supposed to bolt the barrels together then seal on the outside surface. Not saying you don't with CCWs, but given OP didn't find any silicone there I don't think you need it there.

Wouldn't matter - it's possible for anything to cause the seal to break and start leaking. Mount/de-mount the tire too aggressively; hit the wheel to hard at the wrong angle, etc.

Multi-piece rims suck.

832 would be better.

It could also come down to just bad luck. I once had to re-seal a 3-piece rim 3 times before it held. Not sure why the first two times it failed to hold because I didn't do anything, but sometimes rims can be a SOB to seal
Yeah if it doesn’t seal after this time I might just get them welded IDC at this point lmaoo

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Multi-piece rims suck.

It would matter to CCW. Their wheels must be leak-free when they are packed and leave their facility to the customer.

True, CCW has NO control of what happens to the wheels once they leave their factory and are handled by the customer.

People can’t say that the OP got burned when he hasn’t contacted CCW. CCW may very well do a great job fixing this leaky wheel. It may just take time that the OP cannot afford. Personally I feel the same way.

This leak may be the result of 1, 2, or all 3 of these.
1) Design
2) Material
3) Process

Good luck OP!

Cody M

Established Member
It would matter to CCW. Their wheels must be leak-free when they are packed and leave their facility to the customer.

True, CCW has NO control of what happens to the wheels once they leave their factory and are handled by the customer.

People can’t say that the OP got burned when he hasn’t contacted CCW. CCW may very well do a great job fixing this leaky wheel. It may just take time that the OP cannot afford. Personally I feel the same way.

This leak may be the result of 1, 2, or all 3 of these.
1) Design
2) Material
3) Process

Good luck OP!
Yeah they said to send it back, but it took me 8 weeks just to get the wheels from when I ordered them and i dont want to risk it taking too long to receive them back for the possibility of them leaking again. But I’ll figure it out, just want the car ready for once it’s warm out lol

1FastFord

Established Member
Send it back with tire, that’s how mine were fixed. Have them send you box so nothing out of pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I’ll look in my garage to see if I still have the tube somewhere. I do know it wasn’t the Dow brand

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
So i just got done resealing it and its leaking again thats why i was asking. If i reseal the barrel again, should i torque the bolts first then apply the silicone in between the barrels or hand tighten them, apply silicone and then torque to spec? I just figured maybe tightening the barrel first then applying silicone would help eliminate any air bubbles
All I did was silicone first, then assemble the wheel together and torque it down then smooth out the silicone that got squeezed out of the sides with my finger

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Its possible CCW has probably updated their design in recent years. I resealed mine 6 years ago and they were older wheels. I can’t remember but I’m 80% sure it was CCW who gave me instructions on how to reseal it

Last edited:

efnfast

Established Member
Yeah if it doesn’t seal after this time I might just get them welded IDC at this point lmaoo

Welcome to multi-piece rim ownership. They're like ITBs

The happiest day in your life is when you unbox them and see them.

The next happiest is when you re-box them and re-sell them, haha :/

Cody M

Established Member
I’m sure CCW has probably updated their design in recent years. I resealed mine 6 years ago and they were older wheels. I can’t remember but I’m 80% sure it was CCW who gave me instructions on how to reseal it

Welcome to multi-piece rim ownership. They're like ITBs

The happiest day in your life is when you unbox them and see them.

The next happiest is when you re-box them and re-sell them, haha :/
Lol I won’t sell them I love the twisted classics on a cobra they look too good. I just got the wheel dismounted and cleaned all the silicone off again, now I’m debating on trying it again or just welding the rim. It’s a front wheel so I’ll never change the barrels so I don’t see the harm in just welding it. I’m debating tho

Users who are viewing this thread