Cause for concern? Leaking axle tube at the differential?

mikestoyz

Established Member
9ad338fb.jpg

Opinions?

SicShelby09

Banned
Not at all. Its a vent/overflow. I have owned 3 S197 cars and they all do it. Not to mention, I have taken them in for it and the dealer says its only a concern if its excessive. And the one on my shelby was leaking like a siv when I would pound on the car. 100x more than yours. I know there is also a TSB for it, where they put a longer vent on there so the oil cant get out. But there is going to be some that comes out from that vent. Better there than around the diff cover or rear seal. Thats the point of it, to relieve the pressure. No worries man.

mikestoyz

Established Member
Not at all. Its a vent/overflow. I have owned 3 S197 cars and they all do it. Not to mention, I have taken them in for it and the dealer says its only a concern if its excessive. And the one on my shelby was leaking like a siv when I would pound on the car. 100x more than yours. I know there is also a TSB for it, where they put a longer vent on there so the oil cant get out. But there is going to be some that comes out from that vent. Better there than around the diff cover or rear seal. Thats the point of it, to relieve the pressure. No worries man.

I was hoping that was the reason! Thanks!

corruptor

Established Member
The "turkey baster" part in the TSB does not fully fix the diff from puking fluid under hard accel (my driveway is proof of that). Some people have fabricated catch cans and Joe Heck Racing was going to begin manufacturing a one-off part they fabricated for their race car but never did.

04sonicbeast

Established Member
I just noticed this today putting my exhaust on. It's only on one side of the axle too. There is no spot in my garage from oil just on te axle. I'm gonna call the dealer anyway just to be safe

Coyote414

Established Member
I had it too, i understang thats the point of the vent, so i cleaned it up, and after spirited driving it was over flowing again, could this lead to levels becoming dangerously low? the car has a 6k miles on it so i figured it should have atleast leveled out, but still leaking :(

terminal5

Established Member
The picture posted appears to be "sweating" from where the left tube meets the housing as the OP mentioned.

The vent is on the right side tube.

alex12gt

Established Member
On some cars the vent is actually on the left my 11 had the same issue and had it checked out and they said nothing to worry about

Last edited:

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Yes, vent is on right side. Discharge all over the right side axle tube is normal especially if you spin it fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread