Cats or No Cats

99SVTSnake

Established Member
About to get an x-pipe from magnaflow for my Cobra. Just wondering whats better, with cats or without cats. No emissions around here, so that doesnt play a role. Just looking for best performance wise.

Thanks

Rich

mikep01

Established Member
if you can get away with it go catless. but federal law says cats must be there. it does sound better w\o the cats though.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Difference in performance is pretty negligible. Go with whatever your ears can tolerate (daily driver or weekend car?)...

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
im getting the same thang, Magna-X-pipe, im going Catless.im just waiting on my dumby sensors from Summit Racing in CAli :(

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Performanc wise...about the same.
It's about what sound you want.

If you want loud, go with no cats.

Want it quieter so the wife/girlfriend/both;-) can talk in the car, get high-flow cats.

My wife talks too much (j/k) so I have LT's AND no cats.
:beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No cats.
Rich--I'm also in Toledo. I think you met up with my buddies so they could listen to the exhaust. I just bought a Bassani O/R X and will have it on hopefully next weekend when I do the gear install. If you can wait, you can check mine out and see if you like it. -James
BTW-- the Bassani is a 3-piece so if you ever need/want to go with cats, you can buy them and install them in the same pipe.
PM me if you want.

99SVTSnake

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys, I am pretty sure I am going without cats. Just gonna wait and hear biminiLX's just to make sure I like it first.

Rich

P.S. PM sent

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
another vote for cat's, ive seen it on dyno and ill never be offroad again ! i miss the sound...but not the performance

Is the performance difference really that big. I got a Bassani X-Pipe with hi flow cats on my car now, but I am thinking about putting my old BBK off road h-pipe back on because I miss the sound. What is the differene in RWHP?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I'm in the same boat myself and considering the Bassani o/r X. Another thing to condiser is that I've read in other forums that people who got the Bassani cats had the element desintegrate and blow out the rear of the car in a cloud of gray smoke. Some others have said that they can crumble up and possibly block the exhaust path. I've heard this more than once and apprently it was a known issue w/ the Bassani cats so that pretty much convinced me to go "catless". Plus like biminiLX said, w/ the Bassani you can purchase the cats separate later on and put them in if you want. This is probably what I'll do since I have to pass inspection and emissions once a year where I live.

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by REX-RACER
I'm in the same boat myself and considering the Bassani o/r X. Another thing to condiser is that I've read in other forums that people who got the Bassani cats had the element desintegrate and blow out the rear of the car in a cloud of gray smoke. Some others have said that they can crumble up and possibly block the exhaust path. I've heard this more than once and apprently it was a known issue w/ the Bassani cats so that pretty much convinced me to go "catless". Plus like biminiLX said, w/ the Bassani you can purchase the cats separate later on and put them in if you want. This is probably what I'll do since I have to pass inspection and emissions once a year where I live.

This is true about Bassani, I actually thought one of my cats had blown out, but it ended up being something else. So as of now I haven't had any problems with the cats, and it as been about 20k miles.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by URDONE
Is the performance difference really that big. I got a Bassani X-Pipe with hi flow cats on my car now, but I am thinking about putting my old BBK off road h-pipe back on because I miss the sound. What is the differene in RWHP?

a consistent 1 whp difference is enough for me to do cats. I bought NOScobra2001's old header back system (bassanni x with 2 cats, FRPP cat back) and in all honesty, it's louder and better sounding than the stock system with dumpers after the H pipe. I'm sure H pipes sound great but with the right set-up, it will sound just as good X'ed IMO

Users who are viewing this thread