Cats or no cats...

slowww6

Established Member
I have a 2016 5.0 and am going to be buying a set of long tube headers sometime this week. I've decided I'm going with stainless works but my question is how much louder are the catless headers than the catted ones? Is there much of a difference? Also is there a noticeable power difference between the two? How much power could I expect to gain with each. (Right now the car has a jlt intake, Mbrp catback and Lund tune). Thanks!

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hi slowww6, you can an expect a significant difference in volume between the two, and slightly more rasp with the catless versions. They do produce a significant increase in power, but you will want to get a custom tune to take full advantage of the gains.

Last edited:

calebdnehus

Established Member
I had your catback on my 2016. I had MBRP long tubes on it without cats and it was real loud for about 2 seconds on cold start but wasnt loud after that. Cruising it was a good volume but when you got on it, everyone knew it was a modded mustang. Which is the perfect sound in my opinion. I have a few clips if you want me to text them to you. Theyre on my phone

usaf_branham

Established Member
I have catted merge pipes with stainless power LT's (full 3 inch). It sounds considerably better than my buddies '13 with nearly the same set up and no cats... my cat back is the Magnaflow competition cat back whereas his is the flowmaster outlaws... his is 1000% rasp and sounds like gun fire. Mine still had tone... a little raspier than I'd like but much better. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowww6

Established Member
Appreciate all the feedback.. I ended up going with the stainless works catted headers. Just got them in the mail yesterday so I'm excited to put them on. The big deciding factor was the rasp. While I don't mind loud I think I might like the tone of the exhaust better with the catted version. I'll update when I get them installed!

Shane361

Running a Procharger on my no catted SW longtubes with Borlas. It is STUPID loud and even when barely getting on it. It is honestly missing the notes that make it sound like a Mustang and more like a Chevy.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I’d say buy it with high flow cats, difference between catted longtubes and catless longtubes shouldn’t be too big.

I myself have never liked noisy setups but I’ve decided to try something new because I don’t want the risks that come with running cats on a higher hp boosted setup. I called up stainless works and they sold me the catless slip on piece for $49. The car is going from catted stainless power LTs, x-pipe and magnaflow 5x9s to catless longtubes, magnaflow 12468 resonated x and magnaflow 5x9s. I haven’t heard it yet but shop guy says it sounds really good and he wants to run the same setup on his own Procharged car.

Users who are viewing this thread