Catless x pipe questions

DustinWS6

Established Member
This post is for my lazy friend who doesn't want to take the time to register:

He writes, I want to get a catless x-pipe but i was wondering if it would void the warranty? and also what else would I need to keep the check engine lights off?

I don't know a whole lot about 03/04 Cobras so i couldn't help him. My car had to have O2 sims to keep the SES light off, but I don't know about Cobras.

His only other mods are Bassani cat-back and CAI

DarkHelmet22

KEEP FIRING A**HOLES
Established Member
To a point yes it could void some of the warranty. It kinda depends on the dealer and what is wrong with the car. But the x pipe has to be the cause of the problem to void the warranty so if the rear end blows up the x pipe cannot void the warrenty on that part. As far as the mil light with no cats you can do 2 options either mil eliminators or a chip of corse a chip is more expensive but it also is much more reliable than mils. It is really up to your friend.

Alex

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Originally posted by DarkHelmet22
To a point yes it could void some of the warranty. It kinda depends on the dealer and what is wrong with the car. But the x pipe has to be the cause of the problem to void the warranty so if the rear end blows up the x pipe cannot void the warrenty on that part.

That is the way it is "supposed" to work but, depending on the dealer it doesn't work that way. Does your friend have the $$ to fight Ford in court over it? The best bet is to talk to the service manager at the dealer he takes the car to and see what they think is acceptable in the mod department.

They can void your warranty for anything they want, any mod at all can and has caused warranty trouble for people across the country. You are typically ok with CAI and catback but that is about all most dealers will ignore. Keep in mind too that it is a federal offense to tamper with functional cats, even if you replace them with new cats so Ford can use that against you in too. The bottom line is if you play, be prepared to pay...

Users who are viewing this thread